Need new fixture for small front mounting sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bronxer, Apr 28, 2010.

1. bronxer

bronxer DIY Junior Member

The sink is tiny and old - from around 1940-1950. There are 3 holes in the front - hot and cold knob and faucet.

The sink drips from both knobs when the water flows. It has developed a major drip now, so I turned off the water to the cold side and was unable to remove the knob - rusted solid.

Before I remove the old fixture I must first locate a new fixture to replace it.

Any suggestions where I can find one?

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

There are many wall hung lavs to choose from.
    They should come with a wall bracket. The faucet will mount from the top, so a standard lav faucet with 4" centers will do the trick.

What you have pictured, hasn't been done for a while. Very old school.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  3. asktom

asktom Member

I think Central Brass still makes shelfback (ledgeback) faucets. You will need to know the center to center measurement of the handles, www.centralbrass.com .
  4. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There are several companies who make replacement faucets, but since I have not needed one for almost 40 years I cannot give a specific manufacturer. Indiana Brass used to make a adjustable one which fit almost all sinks.
  6. Use the term "Shelf-back" to search on the web. What you want it both wallmount and "Shelf-back" or Shelfback

Chicagofaucets.com is one good manufacturer making these to go into the wall of this wallmount.

After web searching, you'll get a good idea what you need. Then for local help (NY), try Alfano's arpny.com
  7. ilya

ilya In the Trades

Buy a handle puller. It's a LOT cheaper than a faucet, and your chrome still looks good. You can rebuild that baby for another hundred years. To me, "very old school" would be the beautiful integral spout sinks from the teens and twenties. I have refubished several of these by making my own rubber seals by trial and error. I work Fridays at an old school hardware store and we may have a refurbished one for sale. Send me a private message if you want me to check-we'll ship if you want it. We may have a slant back too.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I haven't checked lately, but in the old days Chicago Faucet NEVER made face mounted faucets for lavatories.
  9. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

agreed. The ones I always seen where Crane sinks and faucets.
  10. ilya

ilya In the Trades

What we have at the store is a Kohler shelfback completely rebuilt and tested.Seems identical to yours but with lever handles. Lemme know. Or you may be able to cut off the handles, and then rebuild the stems and install new handles. If a handle puller won't work, you'll do all but the rebuild to replace the faucet anyway. Forget about "big box" stores for parts. If you can get the stems out without destroying the spline pattern you're home free.