Need New Boiler Manufacturer Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

njb52

Reaction score
Hi,
We live in Massachusetts and are beginning to so research on replacing our existing gas fired Utica Boiler, that has served us faithfully for 41 years. We are looking for boiler manufacturers that have most of the following criteria:
  • Cast Iron heat exchangers with as thick walls as possible
  • Replacement parts must be off the shelf and readily available
  • Very minimum electronics to minimize parts/components that can fail
  • Good reliability and very low repair history
  • Maximum guarantee
  • Good manufacturer local support

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
There are lots of them. Only after we have your heat load figured out it it possible to make recommendations. (See my response to your other thread.)

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
The good news is; you can still get the same boiler that lasted 41 years!

Little has changed in that time as relates to atmospheric cast iron boilers. The efficiency tops out around 86% and reliability is comparable, especially if Massachusetts allows a standing pilot...

But, after many decades in the plumbing and heating industry with experience as a contractor, distributor, manufacturer and consultant, the only valid criteria of those you list is the last, since few are qualified to answer the rest, even if the data were available.

Each application presents a unique opportunity to specify the perfect boiler. This is why I am now installing boiler number 14 in my own quest for perfection. This is 14 different condensing boilers over the last 15 years. I have installed many cast iron clunkers as well, but do not count them since they represent a failure in fuel efficiency, my limited powers of persuasion and progress in general.

I generally install cast iron boilers for old people who will not see the return on investment and those who can't afford a good boiler...and for people who never, ever, want to spend another penny on their heating system...maintenance.

Owe, the good news; you will spend about 25% more heating your home than you might with a condensing boiler, pollute more and be less comfortable, but you will likely have another 40 years before you have to think about boilers again. Come to think of it. It is unlikely either one of us will have any worries by 2056 for that matter.

Now that's a legacy.

John Molyneux

Reaction score
Unlike washing machines and refrigerators, with boilers you can't go to a consumer magazine (or an online forum) to see which model or manufacturer is 'best'. There are lots of good reasons for this, not the least of which is that the quality of the installation and properly matching the new unit to your existing system are probably (way) more important than which brand you choose. And there are plenty of good brands to choose from.

I started my own research on this last year exactly where you are. And then I came here and learned about heat loss and proper sizing and ODR curves, etc. etc. You're way ahead of the game since you're already posting here and on the other board. Here are some further thoughts.
  • Do your own heat loss (i.e. provide us with the zip code and gas bill information Dana wants) and educate yourself as thoroughly as you can before you start getting estimates. You'll find this will make it much easier to identify a contractor who knows what they're doing and who will be a good fit for you.
  • Make sure you know what your goals are -- first cost, long term cost, comfort, convenience, air emissions, etc. If having a 'thick cast iron heat exchanger' will help you sleep better on a cold winter night, go for it. But at this point do you really want to rule out a low-mass boiler that will probably be cleaner, quieter and more comfortable?
  • I ended up choosing a boiler based on the contractor I liked the best and what they specialized in. It was a brand I hadn't even considered up to that point. The boiler -- and whether or not it will operate anywhere close to it's AFUE rating -- is only as good as the installation.
  • Get an energy audit. The boiler is just an appliance that's part of a system and the system includes the building envelope. Air sealing and insulation is often the most cost-effective, reliable and environmentally appropriate investment you can make in your heating system and should be considered at the same time you upgrade the boiler. I dropped my design day heat loss by 25% with a combination of insulation and air sealing that didn't cost me anything out-of-pocket due to being able to take advantage of rebates and a low-interest loan.
  • Even with what I'd learned in advance I had no idea how much labor and craftsmanship goes into a boiler retrofit. There's a really good reason why the total cost is so much more than the wholesale price of the boiler.
  • All the math I did (with Dana's help, of course) convinced me that I would have a very efficient system. What really surprised me the most is that it's incredibly more comfortable than my old system. All the new insulation helps too, but heating with a relatively constant supply of gently heated water is stunningly more comfortable than my old on/off system that only knew how to supply 180-degree supply water in relatively short bursts. It's hard to describe. It's like I just don't notice that the heat's on unless I come in from outside. The house is more comfortable at a lower t-stat setting than before. I'm lucky because I have cast-iron radiators but I don't see why it would be significantly different as long as you have enough baseboard to take care of you heat loss using lower water temps.

njb52

Reaction score
Thanks very much, John, for all of your info and perspective. I am glad to hear how info from this forum and especially Dana’s help in proper sizing, has helped you get the best system that works for you. Yes, peace of mind is very important to me and given the 6 zones that we have, and no domestic hot water load (we have a separate heater), I am leaning toward a high mass boiler. Cost, off the shelf parts and minimum electronics is also part of my particular peace of mind. Thanks very much for also for recommending a heating audit, John.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks