Need Insulated toilet tank, worried about low flush toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've done many things for the first time...I do my homework (whenever possible), and follow good advice when I can get it. The Drake is a fine toilet - I put two in my mother's house. If you can follow instructions, you can install one without problems.

I would not have installed them at my mother's who lives 400 miles away if there was a problem with the toilet! As noted earlier, the new toilets are much less prone to condensation, but NO toilet is immune if used frequently and the humidity is high...it does NOT matter if the bowl is insulated or not if it is used frequently and the humidity is high...insulation only slows the transfer, not stops it, so, eventually, the tank will get cold and sweat.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what "problems installing a Toto Drake" you read, I don't recall seeing any. In fact, all toilets install pretty much the same way. Problems with any toilet installation might occur with a flange not being properly installed, an floor that is not level, not enough rough-in, or the water supply located in a bad position, but those are not problems related to the toilet being a Drake. Many folks report problems with American Standard because of poor quality control, but those do not happen with any Toto. A Toto Drake with put your bathroom into the 21st century.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can't install a Toto toilet, you might as well give up.
These are the best quality toilets on the market, with the least problems.
It's why plumbers love them.

Most explanations being written, are for novices that have never tried to install their own toilet before.

Installing a Drake

If toilets sweat where you live, I would first check to see if the flapper is good.
New toilets only use a bit of water for a flush. So flushing one time doesn't bring the temperature down that much.
You can order an insulated tank for the Drake, ST743SD, The D is for insulated. I have sold a few of those to people in Eastern Washington. I still have one on hand for the next one that asks. It sets right next to the right hand lever tanks.

Other non sweating toilets would be anything with a pressure assist unit, or a flapperless.

Last edited:

RCraig

Reaction score
Thanks so much JADNashua, Terry, and Gary

I will get a plumber to install it, so that should take care of it. Now I just have to get my husband to agree. By the way, out of academic interest, I put food coloring in the tank, and didn't see any food coloring leaking into the bowl. Wouldn't that suggest that the flapper is ok?

Also, out of further academic interest (I am an academic), what is a flapperless toilet? Ruth

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Also, out of further academic interest (I am an academic), what is a flapperless toilet? Ruth

Trust me Ruth you don't want to go there!
The Niagra Flapperless Toilet is an oddball that Smockman down at big box is pushing hard. Funny thing about oddballs is when the company making that oddball design disappears so do the repair parts. Orphan toilets get replaced not repaired.

I still remember the first Niagra Flapperless Toilet I saw...
It was clogged and it was in the home of a Home Depot Manager!:eek:
Justice!

RCraig

Reaction score
Justice is served!

By the way, I am also curious as to what "right hand lever tanks" are. This is just academic interest on my part, I am not thinking about going there.

Am going to call plumber to ask him to install a Drake ST743SD. I think I have other things I have to decide on, like eliptical shape, something along those lines. Not sure what the difference is in that regard but I can kind of guess that one is eliptical and another perhap round. Sorry, the state of my knowledge of plumbing is deplorable. Ruth

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Right hand lever tanks are just what they say they are. Most toilets have the lever on the left side a right hand lever has it on the right side.

THere are 2 styles of bowl shape and they are also exactly what they say they are "elongated" & "round."

RCraig

Reaction score
elongated

Ok, thanks for your prompt reply. I am thinking elongated might be better. Have to ask the plumber as I know space, measuring things is an issue. Bathroom not huge.

I am thinking that if I put in the Drake, if it still sweats, I could still have a mixing valve installed. I really want to get this taken care of before I have the ceiling of the downstairs bathroom repainted. Otherwise, it will just happen all over again. It was BAD! Mold all over the ceiling etc. I sprayed mildew spray, but needless to say the ceiling needs to be completely scraped and repainted. RUth

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When designing a bathroom for handicapped access, the flush handle has to be on the side of the toilet where there is more room (typically, the door side), so it can be accessed by someone in a wheelchair. Thus, some toilets (designed for ADA) come with them set up for either left-hand or right-hand flush levers.

RCraig

Reaction score
OK, thanks

Much appreciate all your advice and thoughts. Will look for people wearing red tennis shoes next time I go down to Nashua. Ruth

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One more thing to consider is toilet height. Unless you are petite, you might want to put in an ADA height toilet. The extra height makes it much easier to get up after doing business.

RCraig

Reaction score
plumbing people cogitating re Toto Drake

I am tall. But I live in New Hampshire a ways from major outposts of civilization, such as Boston. I know Terry has just what I need in Washington State, but hopefully there might be one within a nearer radius. Ruth

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Google to find the Toto website. They have a dealer locater that will give you the nearest Toto dealer to you. Unfortunately, they are not just everywhere. Terry does not recommend shipping toilets, but there are on-line companies that will ship and they supposedly have little problem with goods damaged in transit.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, I did the search for you. Go to the website, then click on "Consumer" in the upper left corner of the home page. That's where the Dealer Locater is. You can also use this site to peruse all of the models of Toto toilets including specifications. A Google search of "Toto Toilets" will also give you several discount dealers that will ship to you if you can't find a dealer close by.

RCraig

Reaction score
so many choices

I see that the ST743SD Drake with insulated tank would be $351 basic, $403 white, and $526 premium. Not sure what the difference is between these. Thanks again, R

Last edited:

RCraig

Reaction score
that makes it easy

I can't imagine anything but white. In your plumbing supply business, I'm guessing you don't get many people asking for black toilets. Your site is really great for plumbing education. Ruth

RCraig

Reaction score
plumber loves the idea of the Drake

Now its just a question of convincing my husband. Plumber suggests round instead of elongated, as the bathroom is small. ADA or not is still in question as it would cost over $100 more. Sounds like a good idea to me but then who knows what the other people in the house will think. RUth

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks