Need help with well and pressure tank hook up

Users who are viewing this thread

Matthew Plumlee

Reaction score
I have a well that is 730ft deep. It has a 1/2 horse pump. I am having a 2 horse pump put in. The house that is on it is about 90ft from the well. The second house that I'm hooking to the well is 850ft away from the well. My question is how I need to hook up to it. Should I hook to the presure side of the pressure tank and run it 850ft over to the other house or should I hook up at the well and put a pressure tank at the house that is 850ft away.

MI Well Drilling

Oh well !
Reaction score
If it's a guest house or a rental I would run the line from the main building so you can have a convenient shut off valve. Still want one in the further away building and a additional bladder tank as well.
Pretty big step up in pump size. Have you had a pump test performed on the well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don't need an additional pressure tank at the other house. Just tee off after the pressure tank to go to the house that is 850' away. That 850' of pipe needs to be large enough to not have much or any friction loss, and then you just need to set the pressure switch high enough to have good pressure at the second house.

Matthew Plumlee

Reaction score
You don't need an additional pressure tank at the other house. Just tee off after the pressure tank to go to the house that is 850' away. That 850' of pipe needs to be large enough to not have much or any friction loss, and then you just need to set the pressure switch high enough to have good pressure at the second house.

Thanks! I was thinking 1 1/4'' pipe to run over there. The current pressure tank is 33.4 gallons with a 125psi max working pressure. Would that be big enough or would I need a bigger pressure tank at my current house.

Matthew Plumlee

Reaction score
If it's a guest house or a rental I would run the line from the main building so you can have a convenient shut off valve. Still want one in the further away building and a additional bladder tank as well.
Pretty big step up in pump size. Have you had a pump test performed on the well?
I'm going to have one done before I put that pump in. The current house is actually my parents house. I'm building back in the field behind them, 850ft away. So you're saying I would need a pressure tank at the house I'm building as well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That 33 gallon tank only holds about 8 gallons of water. With two houses I would use an 86 gallon size tank (23 gallons of draw) or maybe add a 44 gallon tank to the 33 you already have. But you want the tank or tanks to be in the same location. An additional tank at the second house will not fill at the same rate as the other tank because of friction loss in the long line. Just use one larger tank at the first location or double up on the tank you have and keep both tanks at the same location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks