need help with toilet/plumbing issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

cebadec

Reaction score
Today when i woke up i used the toilet upstairs flushed, didn't hear the "flush" (which is an issue in and of itself but nothing major just didn't hold the lever down long enough) came downstairs to my office a few minutes later nature called again, went to the bathroom downstairs. as i was going, i heard what i can best describe as a "crashing whooshing" sound followed by sounds of water moving through the pipes from the upstairs toilet. when i finished i got up turned around to flush saw a "paint bubble" coming from the wall that was filled with water. first thing i did was "pop" the bubble and drain it. then i peeled the paint back to allow the area to dry. i went upstairs after that to investigate then saw a bunch of water on the floor (centering from the toilet) cleaned that up. my question now goes to how did this happen and what can i do to investigate if it is something "easy" for me to fix or if i need to hire a plumber to take care of it? one thing i found out as of typing this when my fiance went to the bathroom last night, she said that it clogged on her after using it. could it just be that without her telling me that piece of information before hand that the pressure from my flush on top of "the clog" caused it to push through the drain? any and all help / advice is welcome and thank you in advance.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I would say the toilet is plugged and it overflowed.

John

cebadec

Reaction score
so essentially it could just be that the clog got over the drain for the toilet into the main drain line and it over flowed? i'm not quite sure what you are saying with this.. do you mind elaborating? what can i do for it at this point or is it a relatively easy fix?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is see if I could reproduce the problem. The water likely either came out over the top of the bowl or from a blown out wax ring under the toilet. It is possible that you have a bad pipe in the wall, but I wouldn't start tearing into a wall without further evidence.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks