Need help with submersible pump/motor selection

Users who are viewing this thread

Nofears67

Reaction score
In my area about 300 bucks.

Should I have a well company do the video or can I have a plumbing company do it?

My well guy quoted me $800 for video inspection.

Seems expensive for a 160 ft deep well.

Nofears67

Reaction score
There is currently a test pump in the hole, however they are supposed to pull that pump out under a previous proposal.

Nofears67

Reaction score
Revised bid= $1,500 to include video log, brush and bail. What are your thoughts?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds very resonable for that much work. See if they will video before and after cleaning the well for the same price. That way you and they can see if the well is worth cleaning. And if it is, you can see how much good the brushing and bailing did.

Nofears67

Reaction score
Had video log done and my wife and I watched the video(not sure she shouldve watched that).
Besides the encrustation everything looks good. We are now going to have it brush and bailed.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The 45 gpm req'ts for the fire sprinkler system will not need to go through the water treatment components but I am sizing my pump to be able to supply that flow if it was ever needed and of course to satisfy the County authorities, etc.
Not to complicate matters, but

HP = GPM(HD)/40E

Where E is efficiency in percent and using 50% is a good starting point
and HD is head in feet, for each 14.7 psi add 33'

So 6 gpm
50 psi at the top of a 100' vertical rise = 212'
E = 50
gives ~0.6 hp.

Last edited:

Nofears67

Reaction score
I had an official fire sprinkler plan created and the max flow calculated was 36.1 gpm at minimum 20 psi. I still believe the Gould 60GS75 will be the best bet, and as valveman said it won't produce more backpressure than the CSV3B2T can handle for my application.

Cary, since the integrity of the casing looked good we're not planning to video again after brushing/bailing.

Nofears67

Reaction score
Ok, so the brushing and bailing is complete but there is one issue. The video log showed a dead lizard in the water (had apparentely fallen in thru a small hole while test pump was in). They said it would get removed during the bailing. There was no post video log done and a temp seal ( meaning a small lizard or mouse could again get in) was put in place. Besides testing the water again how can I be sure the lizard ( or remnants), or another organism won't pollute my well before they get the final seal in place?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Critters fall into any opening left uncovered. The well needs a good cement seal on the outside of the casing, and a good well seal on top of the casing, with a screened vent. You are going to need to disinfect the well when you get the pump in and everything sealed. Murphy says if you leave one little crack open, something will fall in your well.

Nofears67

Reaction score
I had an official fire sprinkler plan created and the max flow calculated was 36.1 gpm at minimum 20 psi. I still believe the Gould 60GS75 will be the best bet, and as valveman said it won't produce more backpressure than the CSV3B2T can handle for my application.

Cary, we are getting closer to having the pump installed. The electric utility is to set the electric meter in about 2 weeks.

Do you think the Gould 40GS50 (5 hp) would work for my application? I ask because it will draw less electricity and should still meet the fire sprinkler demands.

Thanks

Nofears67

Reaction score
Cary, I'm asking between the 60GS75 and 40GS50, not the 40GS50 and the 55GS50.

If I remember correctly you thought that the 55GS50 would put too much backpressure on the CSV3B2T valve.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A CSV and the 5 HP 55GS50 pump should cost half what you were quoted for the 10 HP and VFD. And I know it will work much better and last longer.

No it was the 55GS100 that builds too much pressure. The 55GS50 was the pump I picked to work best but, like I said there is very little difference between it and the 40GS50.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks