Need help with stubout for lavatory...can I relocate?

Users who are viewing this thread

bsj8377

Reaction score
Hello,
Ok, so the stubout for my lavatory in the basement bath was set BEFORE the vanity was chosen...I know, bad move....or rather, a different vanity should have be picked. However, one of those vanities that looks like a dresser was bought and it has the second drawer cut out in the center to leave room for the P-trap and plumbing. The problem is, the stubout is too low, so what's happening is the P-trap is ending up "inside" where the bottom drawer would be!

So, what I'm wondering is if it's possible/ok to raise the stubout by adding a 45 degree fitting (or even a 22 degree) in the horizontal section in the wall leading to the vent/drain line? Will this work and be acceptable? Here is a picture of what I have...and I tried to draw in my proposed fix. I'd like to add a 45 degree fitting to the horizontal section in the wall, which will raise the stubout and also get me close enough to attach the tailpiece...is this allowed? Will it work? Here's a picture... (disregard the second picture, was a mistake, just consider the one with the 90 degree)

drain.jpg

Any help would be appreciated...I gotta have something done with this by morning :(

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Look through your hole for the vent pipe and report that if you can see it. What you suggest is not going to work, but if there is a vent pipe hidden by the drywall just right of the hole, there is a way to do it right.

Otherwise you will need to notch out an area of the back of your drawer to clear the trap.

bsj8377

Reaction score
I was afraid of that...the second problem is that I can't even reach the tailpiece, so I have to at the very least extend the pipe in the wall...can I use a fernco for this?

Or, can I come out of the wall at a different angle toward the tailpiece? Or does it have to be a 90?

bsj8377

Reaction score
Look through your hole for the vent pipe and report that if you can see it. What you suggest is not going to work, but if there is a vent pipe hidden by the drywall just right of the hole, there is a way to do it right.

Otherwise you will need to notch out an area of the back of your drawer to clear the trap.

The horizontal stubout goes for about 18" to the right to the san-t drain/vent...

Reach4

Reaction score
So that means through a stud, I guess.

You could probably use use an AAV. I think it has to be accessible.

Attached is an idea. Green is elbow up of right kind.
red is 2 inch pipe ir 1-1/2 as appropriate
black is tee to horizontal pipe
Orange is that pipe, but its left side is out of the wall as required.
blue is AAV covered with vent cover or uncovered. Locate high as practical under sink.
Attach P-trap to orange pipe.

Not a pro. Just an idea.
huge2.jpg

Last edited:

bsj8377

Reaction score
Hmm...that might be more work than it's worth... :)

At this point I'd be ok if I could just get the tailpiece to mate up to the p-trap...

I got this kit with all the pieces to hook it up, but as you can see I'm too far off...I need like a 45 between the stubout and the p-trap...

Any suggestions for how to get this tailpiece to meet the stubout? Is there a different kind of P-trap that might have a longer curved section?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can cut the 90 and move it or change it to 45's, but you cannot jog the pipe up between the trap and it's vent.

bsj8377

Reaction score
You can cut the 90 and move it or change it to 45's, but you cannot jog the pipe up between the trap and it's vent.

Hmm, ok, just to clarify, I was wanting to move the whole p trap assembly up, and go straight to the wall like normal, then the drain line would drop at a 45, then level out out for about 8 inches and then dump into the vent/drain line...

The pipe would NOT go UP between the p trap and horizontal drain line in the wall...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Hmm, ok, just to clarify, I was wanting to move the whole p trap assembly up, and go straight to the wall like normal, then the drain line would drop at a 45, then level out out for about 8 inches and then dump into the vent/drain line...

The pipe would NOT go UP between the p trap and horizontal drain line in the wall...

Yeah, we got you. Not code, and the trap siphons.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There can be no up or down jog in the trap arm. I must be straight a straight shot pitched 1/4" per foot between the trap and vent. Anything else will cause a siphoning problem, not meet code, and fail inspection.

bsj8377

Reaction score
Got it. Just installed two 45's instead of the 90, that got me where I needed to be to attach the drain. Just have to cut out part of the bottom drawer, not ideal, but I learned for next time :)

bsj8377

Reaction score
Come to think of it, what would be the best height for a rough stubout that might be able to accommodate both styles of vanities? Is there a specification for how long the drain has to be before the p trap starts...or can the trap be put as high as needed?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The height is dependent on how high the sanitary tee is roughed in the wall. About 20" off the subfloor is right for most, but not all.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
bonheur_05.jpg

This lav drain was raised because the new cabinet, 36" high countertop has a drawer below.
There is also a drawer bank to the right.

gruwell_01.jpg

Here is a third lav added by wet ventingj two previous lavs. The wet vented portion is 2"

Sometimes you just cut the wall and move the pipes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks