Need help With Softner/Iron System

Users who are viewing this thread

Dafreak

Reaction score
Newbie here looking for some help.

So my old Iron Curtain and water softener are shot. I had over a local and respected dealer for some recommendations/suggestions and here is what they are suggesting:

Iron removal system:
-rebuild and rebed the current Iron Curtain for $1350
-purchase a new ozone system for $3395
-purchase a new chlorinator system for $4300

Water Softener system:
-purchase a new A3000-48 for $1895
-purchase a new ESD 2502 for $2685
-purchase a new ECR 3502 for $3200

We are on a well and the rust problem is bad, we can not have a system without it. That being said, I am not sure we require a high end water softener after the iron removal process. My initial thought is to do the rebuild and purchase a Fleck 5600 for use as the softener. Thoughts or recommendations?

Reach4

Reaction score
pH?
Manganese?

You would be better off with a less proprietary system than those proposed.

Dafreak

Reaction score
Hi reach, i don't have any other numbers. When you say less proprietary can you explain as well suggest any alternatives?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The systems you mentioned are proprietary meaning the parts, repair work etc can only be done by a single company in a given region. This can sometimes allow these companies to set a price that can not be sent out for a second bid since nobody will or can service the specific equipment.

I would recommend sticking with systems that use a Fleck, Clack, or Autotrol control valve, and with companies that use Structural, or Empress USA made mineral tanks. Avoid companies that use much cheaper Chinese knock offs that look like Fleck or Clack.

Since you have a known IRB issue, you may want to consider a simple chlorine injection system, either pumped or tablet, a large contact tank wiith an automated purge valve on the bottom, and then a simple chlorine reduction system prior to a softener.

A Lakos Twist to clean on the front side is also highly recommended.

Dafreak

Reaction score
Dittohead, thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I find this all unnecessarily confusing. Isn't there a ready made iron and water softener that I can simply purchase? ie, is there an iron removal system and water softner that has a fleck, clack or autotrol valve that uses a structural or empress usa tank? If so does it have a name that I can simply google and find? Also, what would a simple chlorine injection system be?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Water problems are too numerous and complex to have a single simple solution. The number of variables in water make treatment methods nearly impossible to standardize. As you stated, you have a bacterial issue. Without killing the bacteria, it can clog your medias, valves, components etc up with ease depending on the severity.

I could go on for thousands of words but...

A simple chlorine system is the pellet type, these are relatively cheap, relatively simple, but they are slightly more expensive to operate (consumable cost) compared to more expensive/complex chlorine injection methods.

The contact tank is as simple as it gets, it simply allows the chlorine to do its job. Oxidation takes time. The contact time allows for that.

A softener can remove non bacterial iron in the ferrous state with general ease assuming the pH etc are within certain parameters but this is excessively inefficient and the resin will have a very limited life expectancy without regular chemical cleaning or massive overdosing of the salt. Many companies do this without regard to the environment or how this can affect the industry.

I guess a semi "one size fits all" system could be done. It would consist of a sediment filtration/chlorine injection/break tank/ dechlorinization/anti-scale injection, UV, Reverse osmosis/Polishing/ remineralization/Ultra Violet/ etc. Only about $20,000. :)

Dafreak

Reaction score
Thanks again for the info, I have contacted another company who appear to meet the suggestions you outlined above.

Dafreak

Reaction score
Update: had second company out, he is recommending Logix series 760 with 64,000 grains. Also says we do not need a separate iron system. His water test:

pH: 7.1
Sulfor: 0
Iron: 2
Hardness 26

Any further thoughts?

ditttohead

Reaction score
With your conditions a softener will likely work, but the hardness is already very high. The compensated hardness will put you into a very large unit. I would highly recommend an iron treatment system ahead of the softener. The efficiency gains, the lowered environmental impact of excessive salt usage, etc make a simple iron reduction system well worth the small investment. When a softener is used for iron reduction the resin will need to be cleaned aggressively and the salt usage will have to be greatly increased.

The valve he is recommending is bulletproof.

What were his thoughts on iron bacteria and softening? Iron bacteria needs to be addressed and softening is not generally considered an acceptable treatment method for a whole host of reasons.

ENIGMA-2

Reaction score
Would the use of a "red out" type of salt be a recommended move? I use Diamond Sun Gems with Red Out. On the bag it specifies that it's good for 2 ppm iron (I only have 0.99 ppm in my water).

montelatici

Reaction score
After a nice shocking of the well with chlorine prior to installation for the bacteria, the first problem, iron, can be handled by a Katalox media backwashing filter that will handle also handle sediment. Any decent water softener should reduce the hardness to acceptable levels. I would round that off with a backwashing carbon filter but it is only an option. My well water is literally mud and a similar system gets me very clear and soft water.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you look into Water right water treatment, company is north of you and can handles wide range of problems with single unit, I always recommend twin units for 24/7 treated water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks