Need Help with Shower Drain and Finding Strainer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jay Highland

Reaction score
phsdhxW
The place I am living has a 2nd story master shower. It had a leak in the supply line so I had not been using it but fixed it over the weekend. I would like to use it now but the drain just has a flange and a 2" abs riser and in between those appears to be glue or concrete. There does not appear to be a drain body and there is no cover or strainer. It looks like someone removed it.

I dont necessarily need to go and cut this out but I can. For now, I would like to find a way to cover it with a shower drain cover or strainer. But, in its current state there is no screws or threads to attach anything. The shower doesnt leak at all and other than being dirty is in great shape.

I have been browsing this forum for info for a long time and glad to finally post.

I have attached pics for reference. Also, is there a name for the gap between the drain pipe and shower body? Like mine is 4.5" for the drain hole but a 2" pipe. What is the name for that gap before you put a drain in? That is bugging the hell out of me for some reason.

phsdhxW.jpg

Jay Highland

Reaction score
Maybe a snap-in/push in screen. Like this http://www.oatey.com/products/drain...nt-strainers/stainless-steel-snap-in-strainer or https://www.plumbingsupply.com/draincovers.html
Can that protruding stuff be cleaned up (flattened) some?

I was looking at those but I am not sure those tabs that snap in are in far enough to fit into the pipe. Most of the ones I saw, the tabs would go where the concrete/glue currently is.

I am sure I could sand that down a bit. You can see the ring in the cement where something use to be. It is like someone pried it off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks