Need help with selecting a new thermostat

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by ajberezo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. ajberezo

ajberezo New Member

I have a three unit rental property which has steam heat. One unit, originally the landlord's unit, contains a wired thermostat. Since the landlord's unit is now occupied by a tenant, I want to be able to control boiler operation remotely and not allow the tenant to do so. My plan is to install the new thermostat in the basement, to which tenants do not have access, and install a remote temperature sensor in place of the old thermostat. The sensor could be either wired or wireless. The thermostat would also have to have wi-fi capability so that it could be monitored remotely. I would really appreciate any guidance that anyone can provide, as the various thermostat manufacturers have not been helpful. Thanks in advance.
  2. jac04

jac04 New Member

Honeywell should have what you are looking for. I just had a wireless t-stat installed in my downstairs, but it was a simple wireless version (no remote temp sensor, no wi-fi). If you search on their web site, I think you will find a pdf brochure with all the details on the different wireless t-stats they offer. (sorry I don't have a link for you)
  3. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

The idea of controlling someones comfort level would make me want to move out.

I hope your wife is not the new tenant.

Honeywell is a good brand.
  5. ajberezo

ajberezo New Member

No, it is not my wife. As for comfort, the thermostat controls heat in all three units. And, because it is a steam system, it can be hot in the downstairs unit and cold upstairs and vice versa (there is one large unit downstairs and two smaller units upstairs). The heat is set to go on at 70 deg. at 5:30 am until 9:00 am, then 69 all day until 5, when it goes up to 70 until 10 pm, when it goes to 64 overnight. These settings have worked for several years and all tenants agree that they are not cold. I just don't want the downstairs tenant messing with the settings. And, by having remote access, I can adjust the heat remotely in extreme circumstances if a tenant calls to complain, which they haven't done yet.
  6. Dana

Dana In the trades

If it's 1-pipe steam it's probably worth giving the tenants at least SOME control by adding a thermostatic radiator valve or two so they can have at least some adjustment of the temperature balance.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Honeywell wireless is probably your best bet.