Need Help With PVC Pipe Fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

convexion

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in a bit of a mess here. I'm repairing the fittings in a valve box that was installed by someone else. I can't figure out a good way to attach the fitting marked in the picture below. I've tried it twice now and the system leaked both times.

I'm hoping the third time will be the charm but with the T and the valves being so close together I'm having a tough time figuring out a good solid way to connect them. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
What are you trying to connect to? Don't forget that you've got a third dimension (vertical), so you can always 90 up, then 90 over, which would give you more room.

convexion

Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking about that also but it's incredibly tight in there. I purchased some 90 degree fittings as well but they intercept one another. The only way I can do it is cut the fittings that are on the valves and shave some off the 90s. Will that compromise the fittings?

That's why I figure the original designer did it the way they did. Here's a picture of it just in case it might help. It was buried under dirt but I've marked it so you can see the original position.

convexion

Reaction score
Yeah, that looks pretty good. Thanks. I think I'll just go with flex fit because this just feels insane with regular PVC.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PVC

I cannot see what your problem is, but I would toss those male adapters. Buy a 3/4" x 6" PVC threaded nipple/pipe. Cut it to size, (making two pieces with a thread on one end). Screw the thread into the valve and glue the plain end into the tee.

convexion

Reaction score
Hi, unfortunately digging further down wouldn't have helped simply because the valves are so close together. But I ended up being able to finish it by cutting the threaded adapters and snaking the pipe in various directions through the box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

You were not listening. I did not say to dig deeper, I said to throw the adapters away, (they only crack and leak anyway), and use a threaded nipple which would replace the adapter AND the piece of pipe that went with it. You probably made the job a lot more difficult, and maybe less permanent by what you did.

convexion

Reaction score
Well it's holding pressure fine so I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope I won't have to redo it. :) Thanks anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks