Need help with Price Pfister shower/Tub valve system (~2001 vintage) Series 02

Users who are viewing this thread

grs1723

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Price Pfister shower/tub two-handle system where the left handle is to control the flow and the right is to control the temperature. I have issues with it in that: (1) the shower is not very hot, and (2) it has a slow leak even when everything is turned off. I can't find this setup online anywhere, yet. Here are some pictures --

C25489DA-9C90-4026-8750-3F8D5806BD2B.jpg

2B928A6E-8EB2-41C0-942C-6A6BA0B95B9C.jpg

FE79B05D-ADB1-4E1A-B185-EAE7163BD340.jpg

I would like to either fix this set or replace with some thing new.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuff

Reaction score
The temperature control on those has a max safety setting. You take off the handle and pop off the temperature stop - rotate it right a bit and then put it back together.
Leaking happens a lot with these. Usually it is the balancing cartridge that needs replaced. They sent me a new one the first time that I called them. Just had to pay expedited shipping. Second time it happened I bought one rather than waiting again. It is even on the main page of their spare parts site. http://pfisterparts.************.co...ssure-balance-cartridge/p1701131?term=974-291

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As with any of the 'modern' shower valves, they all have some sort of max temp adjustment. If it was originally set during the summer, since it's not thermostatically controlled, just mixing, when the cold gets colder, the max temp it can provide will go down. A true thermostatically controlled valve should be consistent all year round. Try that max temp limiter after you replace the cartridge to stop the leak.

grs1723

Reaction score
The temperature control on those has a max safety setting. You take off the handle and pop off the temperature stop - rotate it right a bit and then put it back together.
Leaking happens a lot with these. Usually it is the balancing cartridge that needs replaced.

Thanks for all the pointers. This looks about right. BUT -- maybe I'm missing things but when I take off the right-side (temperature) handle I see that the quarter turn stop are there, but there really isn't anything to pop off, turn, and replace. It looks integral. In the drawing in the link on the Chicago plumbing page you can see that for my handle set (the cross type) the drawing does not show a temperature stop adjustment piece.

So, I'm still not sure this is an adjustment I can make.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Chicago link shows there are different handle/trim choices but all have the same internal components.
After you remove the handle on the right then it looks like there are 4 screws to remove to get out your stem. There should be a temperature stop and a balancing cartridge in there too. Replacing the cartridge on the left should stop the leak.

grs1723

Reaction score
The Chicago link shows there are different handle/trim choices but all have the same internal components.
After you remove the handle on the right then it looks like there are 4 screws to remove to get out your stem. There should be a temperature stop and a balancing cartridge in there too. Replacing the cartridge on the left should stop the leak.

Thanks again. I looked again and I do see the temp adjustment on the right hand side -- but unfortunately it was already on the hottest setting and so since being too cold is the problem, there is no joy there in increasing the temp.

I can't see any way of removing anything -- perhaps they did not leave a big enough hole around the threaded section. I don't, in other words. see any way to remove cartridges. I'll get some pictures of what it looks like tomorrow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks