Need help with outside waterline size and type

Users who are viewing this thread

dally1up

Reaction score
Just building a home and wanted to run something by everyone on here.

Home will sit 500' uphill (10' rise maybe) from a 3/4" rural water meter. 3" water line across the road from the meter. The house is a 3.5 bath, sink in garage, kitchen, etc., couple of bury hydrants.

Should I go with a 1" line or 1.5"? (plumber worried about the possibility of air in line or surging from the bigger line)

Would you go PVC (20' glued joints), PEX, or Black poly?

All help is appreciated.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I am not a plumber but I have been involved with similar design problems. For the five hundred foot run I would recommend nothing smaller than 1-1/4 inch piping and 1-1/2 would not be too large. Also I would never go with PVC but would recommend the black PE piping as long as it had certification for potable water.

(plumber worried about the possibility of air in line or surging from the bigger line)
This is just silly. I'd seriously consider a different plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Where would the air come from? If it would be a problem with a larger pipe, it would be a problem with ANY pipe. Here, we use PVC for that type of line exclusively. 1 1/4" would be the minimum size I would use.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At five hundred feet, a minum of 1-1/2" pipe. Either Poly or PVC for that.
Here is a chart at the bottom of this page that list pipe size by distance.
https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

It has to do with friction loss.
Your plumber has no idea what he is talking about.
There are charts in the code book for this question. Buy your plumber a code book. I'm sure he doen't have one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks