Need help with lose refill hose

Users who are viewing this thread

dallasdave

Reaction score
Hello,

DIY newbie here. I replaced the fill level pump in my toilet and it came with a new refill hose. The hose was lose, so I used duct tape to secure it inside the overflow tube...but due to the humidity in the toilet the duct tape keeps losing it's grip (the glue).

I tried using a clip but that didn't work either.

Any ideas on how I can secure the hose? home depot wants me to buy a whole new setup.

Reach4

Reaction score
Home Depot offers http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Water-Saving-Refill-Tube-215/202510400

You don't need to use the pinch clamp portion on a newer toilet... that would be for an old toilet with a long fill.

You could just use the white thing.

If you have the clip but it is just loose, try a nylon cable tie.

Cable-tie.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A fill tube too far down the overflow tube can siphon water out of the tank. That's why they supply the clip to keep the end of the tubing above the overflow tube.

index.php

Last edited:

MKS

Reaction score
I installed a fluid master recently.
Looks like this.
The hose slips on a clip that directs the flow to the tube from above.
IMG_20161031_203123.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Fluidmaster sells the combined hose and clip separately.

Also, who made the valve you installed? If you have a Korky, you can call them and they will mail you a new clip. Or if you have the clip but can't seem to make it work, post a photo here of the top of the flush valve overflow riser (the tube thing), and we can tell you how to install the clip.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Here's the picture.

The water pump on the left is the new part. The overflow tube on the right is the existing one.

The refill hose has a big blue slider thing on it. I pushed it to the end so I could use (green) duct tape to hold the end of the hose at the top of the overflow tube (yes, I learned that if I push the blue slider thingie down the overflow tube, water keeps running all night). I can move the blue slider anywhere on the tube, but then there wouldn't be anything to secure the right end of the hose to the overflow tube.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
The blue thing you have taped to the overflow is not the clip. That is the roller clamp/ pinch clamp. You should have gotten the white or Black clip.
thing. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Refill-Tube-and-Adapter-Clip-218/100132358 That is not carried in my HD. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fluidmaster-Water-Saving-Refill-Tube-215/202510400 is stocked in my HD store.

You can buy Fluidmaster 218 or 215. I don't know if that clip should have been included in your fill valve package. I had first thought so, but now I don't see that shown in the pictures: http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-products/toilet-fill-valves-toilet-parts.html

Last edited:

dallasdave

Reaction score
Thanks.

MKS - Does the end of the tube go into that tab at the tip of the white clip, or does the blue connector on the end snap onto it?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Dave, I would get the clip, or the $3 clip and hose at HD, then slide the stupid water-flow-regulator clamp off the hose, cut the hose to the right length and attach it to the clip, and Voila! you'll be fine.

If you look at this product, the white thingy is the clip that you attach to your overflow riser and you slide the hose onto it so it stands above the lip of the overflow riser and shoots the water down into it. Sorry you have to pay the $3 and take the time to go get it. They should have included a clip in the kit you bought.

Oh, and as you probably have figured out, NEVER listen to the Aprons at Home Depot. They know less than zero about plumbing. I could write a book about the bad, and often-unsolicited, advice I have received from them. I just ignore them and buy what I know I want. Come her for help. We won't let you down.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I stopped by HD last night and got the clip.

I plugged one of the hose into the nozzle on the clip and I'm good to go.

Question 1: What does the blue roller thing do? I tried sliding it back and forth on the hose and I didn't see a difference.

Question 2: The hose is secure on the nozzle part of the clip, but with the force of the water coming out of it, I'm wondering how long it will stay connected...? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Reach4

Reaction score
Question 1: What does the blue roller thing do? I tried sliding it back and forth on the hose and I didn't see a difference.
It can reduce the amount of water that is put into the bowl to refill after a flush. If the bowl was already at its peak while the water is still filling the tank, you could tighten up the blue pinch clamp to slow the flow rate into the bowl.

Question 2: The hose is secure on the nozzle part of the clip, but with the force of the water coming out of it, I'm wondering how long it will stay connected...? Or am I worrying over nothing?
See the picture below to show how the flexible tubing connects to the clip. Part of the long part goes outside of the overflow tube and part goes down the inside of the tube. The water squirts into the overflow tube from above.

See the picture in post #4. That picture shows the black clip clipping to the right side of the overflow tube, but it can clip anywhere around the tube that you like. Your clip may be white as in the picture below.

If you are worried about the clip rising off of the overflow tube, you could put a nylon cable tie around the outside of the overflow tube and over the clip.

8196b815-b98c-410d-be02-0567ce87ae7f_1000.jpg

Last edited:

dallasdave

Reaction score
Thanks Reach, I'm not worried about the clip coming off the overflow tube, but rather the one end of the attached hose coming off the clip nozzle.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Hi Reach, yes, you can see those clips in my original picture. I tried sliding the clip over the end, but it didn't want to go, the clip hole is the wrong shape. I'll leave it as is and see what happens.

thanks again everyone!

Reach4

Reaction score
I tried sliding the clip over the end, but it didn't want to go, the clip hole is the wrong shape.
If you pinch together the two ends of that little clip, the clip should expand enough to get to the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

diy_newbie

Reaction score
Hello,
I came across this thread while googling. Lately my toilet keeps running so I time the refill duration and pull the float arm up to stop water. Very annoying but it works. Can't tell if I've been wasting water or not. Then I noticed the refill tube just hanging there. I tried to put it back where I think it's used to be, a little hole on cap over the overfill tube maybe. There is no angle adapter or clip that typical refill tube comes with. It's 3am so I'm not sure I put everything back to normal nor I know what looked like before. No foreign loosely stuff in tank. The water in bowl is kind of low and I don't remember the set level. Also around the float ball has white stuff could be water deposit? How to clean it or replace it? Any advice is appreciated. Thx.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Put a paper clip on the overflow tube with the "open" end inside the tube, then slide the refill tube onto that 'pin'. That is how the clip was made for decades before the plastic ones came along.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks