Need help with Fleck

Users who are viewing this thread

TedHouston

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here but been reading up on water softener on this forum.

I just moved into brand new house here in Houston, TX (PEX tubing inside) and I'm interested in installing Water softener for my house. From my little research, Fleck 7000 SXT 48k grain, seem to fit my need. I found few places that sell Fleck 7000SXT for around $550-$650 but I'm wondering if any of you can recommend reputable local (Houston) or online store? Does anyone also know any reputable water softener installer in Houston area? I called few places here in Houston but many installers are not familiar with Fleck system or they want me to purchase Fleck through them at around $1200(just unit) which seems bit high.

Thank you.
Houston Average hardness level is 145 ppm

Bannerman

Reaction score
The initial price you mention does seem reasonable. You may wish to verify that it includes a genuine Fleck valve as there are clones on the market, usually from overseas. Likewise, it is advisable to ensure quality tanks, resin and other components which often cannot be assured in obtaining low cost imported components. Virtually all domestic brands will stand behind their products if there is an issue.

Fleck, Clack and Autotrol are very common water treatment backwash valve brands so it would be unusual for a water treatment professional to not be familiar with Fleck. The people you called may deal exclusively with a proprietary brand (ie: Culligan, Kinetico).

This being a Do-It-Yourself forum, it would be uncommon to obtain a local dealer recommendation unless there is a current poster who lives near your specific location and has experience with someone he/she was satisfied with.

Forum member Dittohead is a water treatment equipment distributor that will occasionally privately message a list of nearby qualified professionals he may feel comfortable in recommending. He is currently away on vacation.

Is your water source a private well or a municipal supply? If private well, have you obtained a water analysis test to identify the bacterial, contaminant and mineral levels such as iron & manganese?

You mention an 'average' hardness level of 145 ppm. That equates to 8.5 grain per gallon (divide ppm by 17.1) but if the hardness level does vary, the softener should be programmed for the highest hardness level expected.

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just remember, the agony of poor quality always outlast the joy of a cheap price. As Bannerman has said, you don't know where the system comes from buying it online.

TedHouston

Reaction score
Thank you all for your response. I don't mind paying higher price for quality product but I don't have anything to base my budget other than I used google to search for Fleck 7000. Even couple of local places that gave me $1200(unit only) for Fleck 7000 does not specify if they use quality products. Also, online places ($550~$700) doesn't specify if their parts are quality ones. However, I noticed that most places offer 5 year warranty on Valve, 10 year on Tank. I based my price from qualitywaterforless site. Can someone point me to reputable online dealer with quality parts for Fleck 7000?

@Bannerman, this is for municipal supply and since this is newly constructed house(two month old), I based my water analysis from City of Houston water report and I will program Fleck as you suggested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks