Need Help with Basement Bathroom Drain/Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe F

Reaction score
I am looking to install a half bath in my basement where there is already a laundry room there. The main sewer stack comes down from the above floors all the way down to the basement floor and exits horizontally out of the foundation. The laundry drain trap is 2 feet away from the main stack and drains directly into it without an individual vent. Since the stack does not go under ground, my only option is to install an up-flush toilet (like a Saniflo).

The problem I have is there is no vent stack accessible in the basement and I do not want to tear down the walls/floor in the upper levels to run a new vent stack up to the roof. I was looking up ideas and came across this photo of someone plumbing an up-flush toilet in the following manner. Is this acceptable for coding purposes? They have basically used the main sewer stack as a vent / drain for the toilet pump. My situation is almost exactly the same as this one. Thanks.

Attachments

• basement_toilet_system_52999_750_1000 (1).jpg
    basement_toilet_system_52999_750_1000 (1).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 8,766

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A waste line from the second floor stays a waste line all the way down.
A vent line from the first floor stays a vent line all the way up through the roof.
A lav is vented from the top of the trap arm, not below it.

dwv_b2.jpg

Sometimes what I will do is open a wall on the next floor up and tie the vent in there, six inches above the flood level of those fixtures, normally that means 42" above the 2nd floor.

Jimbo241

Reaction score
A waste line from the second floor stays a waste line all the way down.
A vent line from the first floor stays a vent line all the way up through the roof.
A lav is vented from the top of the trap arm, not below it.

dwv_b2.jpg

Sometimes what I will do is open a wall on the next floor up and tie the vent in there, six inches above the flood level of those fixtures, normally that means 42" above the 2nd floor.
Makes sense thank you. Unfortunately for me I live in a condo unit where I own the first and the third floor, odd I know but it really is screwing with me on how to vent this saniflo plus system. I would love to just use an AAV and call it a day but I read somewhere that they won’t work on saniflo systems because they need air to go in and out. Am I just out of luck with adding a half bath on the ground level?

Jimbo241

Reaction score
I’m guessing by no response that I am screwed lol but if you know of a way to save the day I would be forever not worthy but either way thanks for the info you Previously provided Me

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
dont you have any plumbing on the first floor? your washing machine needs a vent . This sounds like a legal issue 2nd floor owner might let you tie in to a vent.

did you bootleg a washing machine hook up? or buy it that way? How can you ever sell this place?

Jimbo241

Reaction score
dont you have any plumbing on the first floor? your washing machine needs a vent . This sounds like a legal issue 2nd floor owner might let you tie in to a vent.

did you bootleg a washing machine hook up? or buy it that way? How can you ever sell this place?
My washing machine is on the 3rd floor main living area (beds, baths, washing machine and kitchen) the first floor is just has what called a great room, steps leading the the main living area aka 3rd floor, access to soil stack and main water line in, and front door accesss and garage access

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok im totaly confused I thought a guy named Joe f from maryland has a problem with plumbing in basement now i see Jimbo from PA?

Jimbo241

Reaction score
ok im totaly confused I thought a guy named Joe f from maryland has a problem with plumbing in basement now i see Jimbo from PA?
Yea new guy (me, Jimbo241) but we both have the same issue. I have access to run 1” drain waste pipe into my soil stack no prob there but I originally planned to run my 1.5” vent pipe from the Saniplus unit into the soil stack above where the new saniflo drain pipe would also enter into my soil stack. But terry said that wouldn’t pass code and I have to access to a vent pipe and now I’m hoping someone on here has the plumbing knowledge to help me with a fix to my problem other then running a new vent pipe all the way up to and thru the roof

Jimbo241

Reaction score
So what do you guys think? Am I screwed and only left with the option of sending a new vent pipe all the way out the roof?

Jimbo241

Reaction score
You can try an AAV on that and see if that works.
Air Admittance Valve.
Not sure if these photos help show my drain and vent runs coming off of the saniflo pumping up. But you make a good point there’s no reason why I can put an AAV on the vent pipe and test it to see if that will work before I start to dry wall and finish everything.

Attachments

• D403E133-B5E9-49C3-8BE7-656D8B43B681.jpeg
    D403E133-B5E9-49C3-8BE7-656D8B43B681.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 791
  • 641AA86E-9B55-4565-B2C6-79F240C9C40F.jpeg
    641AA86E-9B55-4565-B2C6-79F240C9C40F.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 552
  • 9B92E705-217E-46EE-A280-AD8833C0BB07.jpeg
    9B92E705-217E-46EE-A280-AD8833C0BB07.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 518
  • 02EFCE9E-AE21-47A1-B533-6B4AA1B27CB4.jpeg
    02EFCE9E-AE21-47A1-B533-6B4AA1B27CB4.jpeg
    26.9 KB · Views: 513
  • 3F2336D1-51FF-4389-BD59-91E95F723884.jpeg
    3F2336D1-51FF-4389-BD59-91E95F723884.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 508
  • 80A32B61-D13F-408E-8FA0-B94AAA7EA7BE.jpeg
    80A32B61-D13F-408E-8FA0-B94AAA7EA7BE.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 621

Jimbo241

Reaction score
Not sure if these photos help show my drain and vent runs coming off of the saniflo pumping up. But you make a good point there’s no reason why I can put an AAV on the vent pipe and test it to see if that will work before I start to dry wall and finish everything.
So is AAV my only option? If so how does that look? Does I need one Above on the p trap for The sink and one on the vent for the pump?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks