Need help wiring ceiling fan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Stld82

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have no knowledge of this type of stuff. I want to wire the ceiling fan to be always on and be controled by a remote. I know no idea which wires are for what.

Attachments

• IMG_20170215_202256.jpg
    IMG_20170215_202256.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20170215_202416.jpg
    IMG_20170215_202416.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_20170215_202438.jpg
    IMG_20170215_202438.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 314

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
You are at the wrong end. Close up what have pictured. On line, there are dozen of ways shown how to wire a ceiling fan.
  1. First question is your fan factory made with remote control?
  2. Second question is how does the fan get its power from? with a wall switch or no wall switch?
  3. Is there a light kit installed? From the picture I can see the blue wire for a light is connected to the black wire from the light.
If your fan is already a remote controlled unit, in the ceiling box there will be BLK wire. This is usually hot all the times or it is connected to a wall switch to turn power on and off. The black wire from the fan motor would be connected to this black wire. And WHT to WHT, GRN to GRN or GRN to bare copper.

If the ceiling box has BLK, WHT, RED and bare copper, it means the box was wired for a ceiling fan set up. Where the BLK is for the motor and the fan is switched on and off by the pull chain. The RED wire is connected to the BLU wire of the fan that is connected to the light kit. The red wire would be from the wall switch to turn the light on and off.

Most homes in built in the last thirty years and wired for "ceiling fan" locations is wired this way. However, you can connect the RED wire to the motor BLK wire and use the wall switch to turn the fan on and off or install a 3-speed fan wall switch. THere are now wall switches that are made to work with a remote control and it may get you what you want.

This is a sample as what is out there.
http://www.lumens.com/wall-control-...&utm_term=&scid=scplpR105201&sc_intid=R105201

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The wires at the bottom of the fan have absolutely NOTHING to do with the fan's operation. Depending on the remote unit, it can either go inside the fan's housing or at a wall power source, (either a switch or hot wire). You wire it according to ITS directions.

Stld82

Reaction score
The wires at the bottom of the fan have absolutely NOTHING to do with the fan's operation. Depending on the remote unit, it can either go inside the fan's housing or at a wall power source, (either a switch or hot wire). You wire it according to ITS directions.

Yes the black wire is connected to a blue and the white are both for the light. I'm not sure how to leave it on all the time without the wall switch.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Sounds like of your wall switch controls both the fan and light. Correct? And there is no red wire, only a BLK. Correct? If this is the case you must leave the wall switch on all the time. By your questions you should find someone, friend, co-worker, whomever to help you with this. Unfortunately today's schools leave no room for classes to teach this basic electrical wiring . Something, I first learned in 8th grade and by watching and helping my father. That was 1963.

Anyone who responds here must adhere to safety first. Please read the third nailed post on the forum. If anyone feels that someone really has no understanding of A/C electricity and could hurt themselves, we'll always back off and they, the member, needs to get help. I've done it many times.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your current wall switch does what you want, you can just jumper the contacts at the wall so that it functions as if the switch is always on, or take the switch out and use a wire nut to connect the two wires currently on the switch then substitute a blank cover. Not sure how your remote works, so this might not do what you wish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks