need help-use a 220V appliance in USA 110V

Users who are viewing this thread

josiepk

Reaction score
Ive researched a little on how I might- IF i can.... use a kitchen appliance made in China in the USA. Ive heard using the dryer or the stove outlet if they are 220V, and Ive heard about a 110v-220v up down transformer.
The kitchen appliance I want to use is a 3HP food Blender with the following info=
220-240V~ / 50-60Hz CE model
power > 1501W
it would have a China plug/prongs
I know nothing about electrical
Say I were to use the outlet used for my electrical stove
Is there an adapter to plug into wall outlet so i can use my stove AND run a line up to use my Blender off this outlet or does it split the power or cause a problem????
thank you
would it work on other electrical kitchen appliances bought for use in China?
thanks sooooooooooo much

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Google it and find what you need.

We use a tansformer and an adapter with an appliance made in China (220v), with no problems.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You can not just run a Extra line off of the stove outlet, and meet code requirements, in most areas.

You could use that outlet, and the proper UL listed Adapter. But both connected at the same time, may not be allowed.

You could install another dedicated 240V line in the kitchen.

A 1501W 3HP blender is a joke. Math will tell you that.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

josiepk

Reaction score
THANK YOU for both of your replies!:eek:

DONL, what do you mean by the math will tell you its a joke? not a good blender?

dj2, what is the adapter for and what kind did you buy?

thanks!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
See smooky's links.

Our appliance (it's a foot massage and a whirlpool - 800W) works flawlessly. After a long day on my feet, it does magic. In fact, I think our president has one.

DonL

Reaction score
THANK YOU for both of your replies!:eek:

DONL, what do you mean by the math will tell you its a joke? not a good blender?

dj2, what is the adapter for and what kind did you buy?

thanks!

P = I X E.

1 HP = about 745 watts

PIE.jpg

A 1500 Watt step-Up transformer, will not be cheap. And may not be safe because you will exceed the rating for a 120V 15A outlet. A transformer has added losses.

You should buy a blender from a company that makes them to run on a normal 120V outlet in the USA.

People like big numbers, so the Manufacture will blow smoke up your ass, so that you will buy their product.

What is the model of the blender ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If an autotransformer circuit were used, then the transformer only carries half of the power. I think I know how I would do it, but I don't want to recommend it to anybody.

I suspect that what OP calls a blender is not what I call a blender. I am suspecting I would call it a mixer or something else.

DonL

Reaction score
They Advertise them 3 HP blenders here on TV. It is a joke but people buy them.

I have a so called 5HP Shop Vac, that says 120 MPH Outlet speed. It runs on a 15 amp outlet. "Peak HP" is the trick, in advertisement. If 5HP was true it would pop a normal 120V breaker.

But it does blow 120 MPH smoke up your ass, so half of the rating is correct.

Bad Me, But true.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a big difference between a peak and average power rating...drawing 1500W, is much less than 2Hp continuous. Electric motors have max torque at startup, and peak cannot be sustained once running.

The costs to run a new circuit to make that blender work would buy you a new blender.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
1 HP equals about 746 watts.

3 X 746 = 2238 on my calculator. This is pushing the limit for a 20A 120V circuit. In reality, motors have a non-unity power factor and the VA number will be even higher.

I never really understood the fascination with "peak horsepower" which is probably what they are referring to.

Edit: wow, after I posted a bunch more posts showed up.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks