Need help troubleshooting garbage disposal

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by PaddyFahey, Nov 3, 2013.

1. PaddyFahey

PaddyFahey New Member

Hello,

When I switch on my garbage disposal, it comes on as "normal" for a second or two, then it makes a really loud continuous noise (like the motor but louder and slightly higher pitch, not a rattle), vibrates a lot, water sprinkles back out of it, and eventually trips the reset. I thought I could smell a slight burning, which doesn't bode well I know. I checked down the drain hole, and there's nothing I can see in there (like silverware). It's an older GE model and there's no allen wrench socket on the bottom, but if I put I screwdriver down the drain hole I can spin everything freely. There doesn't appear to be any blockage, as the water drains freely.

Before I replace it, is there anything else I should try? I've searched around for ideas, but most of what I find addresses resetting the power, unclogging the pipes, and freeing stuck blades, none of which appear to be a problem for me.

Thanks and hoping to save $100++.

Paddy
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

You are not saving $100++ here by trying to repair "an older GE model" garbage disposal. On the contrary, you are losing time and possibly money.

Replace the darn thing.

When it comes to small appliances, replacing is usually the least expensive option. In your case, you'll probably get rid of some bad odor too.
  3. PaddyFahey

PaddyFahey New Member

Thanks. Yeah, I'm cheap, but I'll probably replace it now. I was hoping against hope that someone would suggest something quick'n'easy that I'd overlooked.
  4. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

You could have a bad motor bearing, or the start capacitor is not getting switched out when it comes up to speed.

A compost pile is more reliable.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Most disposers are good for eight years. By then the blades have dulled and it's not chipping the way it did when new. Kinda like changing your wiper blades before Winter.
  6. DonL

I never seen one that was good for 5 minutes.

People waste enough Food without needing to grind it and send it into the sewer system.

Yes, I am a Old Fart.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I never seen one that was good for 5 minutes.

You haven't looked hard enough, because you find exactly what you are looking for. If they don't "waste it" by using the disposer, are they supposed to give it to the homeless, or some starving boy in India, so it is not wasted?
  8. DonL

When I grew up you eat what was put on your plate, and the Hogs were lucky to get something.

People have become spoiled, and don't eat pork.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It looks like it's getting there anyway. :)

We're just doing it quicker. Brzzzzzzz!
  10. DonL

LOL.

Terry you crack me up.

That was good. Almost fell of of my rocker.