Need help troubleshooting garbage disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

PaddyFahey

Reaction score
Hello,

When I switch on my garbage disposal, it comes on as "normal" for a second or two, then it makes a really loud continuous noise (like the motor but louder and slightly higher pitch, not a rattle), vibrates a lot, water sprinkles back out of it, and eventually trips the reset. I thought I could smell a slight burning, which doesn't bode well I know. I checked down the drain hole, and there's nothing I can see in there (like silverware). It's an older GE model and there's no allen wrench socket on the bottom, but if I put I screwdriver down the drain hole I can spin everything freely. There doesn't appear to be any blockage, as the water drains freely.

Before I replace it, is there anything else I should try? I've searched around for ideas, but most of what I find addresses resetting the power, unclogging the pipes, and freeing stuck blades, none of which appear to be a problem for me.

Thanks and hoping to save $100++.

Paddy

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are not saving $100++ here by trying to repair "an older GE model" garbage disposal. On the contrary, you are losing time and possibly money.

Replace the darn thing.

When it comes to small appliances, replacing is usually the least expensive option. In your case, you'll probably get rid of some bad odor too.

PaddyFahey

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I'm cheap, but I'll probably replace it now. I was hoping against hope that someone would suggest something quick'n'easy that I'd overlooked.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You could have a bad motor bearing, or the start capacitor is not getting switched out when it comes up to speed.

A compost pile is more reliable.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most disposers are good for eight years. By then the blades have dulled and it's not chipping the way it did when new. Kinda like changing your wiper blades before Winter.

DonL

Reaction score
Most disposers are good for eight years. By then the blades have dulled and it's not chipping the way it did when new. Kinda like changing your wiper blades before Winter.

I never seen one that was good for 5 minutes.

People waste enough Food without needing to grind it and send it into the sewer system.

Yes, I am a Old Fart.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I never seen one that was good for 5 minutes.

You haven't looked hard enough, because you find exactly what you are looking for. If they don't "waste it" by using the disposer, are they supposed to give it to the homeless, or some starving boy in India, so it is not wasted?

DonL

Reaction score
quote; I never seen one that was good for 5 minutes.

You haven't looked hard enough, because you find exactly what you are looking for. If they don't "waste it" by using the disposer, are they supposed to give it to the homeless, or some starving boy in India, so it is not wasted?

When I grew up you eat what was put on your plate, and the Hogs were lucky to get something.

People have become spoiled, and don't eat pork.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks