Need help selecting toilet in tight space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Standupgal

Reaction score
I need to replace my old/clog prone toilet, and there is a banjo shaped shelf that extends over the toilet tank. The shelf is an extention of the counter of the undermount bathroom sink . The height from the floor to the bottom of the shelf is only 30 1/2".

The shorter one piece toilets are very pricey, and the Kohler Wellworth didn't receive an acceptable review from you. Other than breaking the bank or tearing out the countertop/shelf so I can put in a taller toilet, do you have any advise?

Thank you,
Standupgal

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the Toto specs on Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets. I'm sure you will find a suitable Toto for you needs.

Standupgal

Reaction score
Toto

Thank you...I hear Toto's are great, but they are:

a) pricey to purchase
b) pricey to install due to extra time required

Would anyone have a Plan B?

Thanks, Standupgal

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
ummm go to various toilet manufacturer websites look at spec steets and find a toilet that fits....
Then for the next 20 years plunge and wish that you had listened to the advice you were just given...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Why would a Toto made in the US take longer to install then a Kohler made in Mexico?

It all fits on the flange in your home?
Does you flange only speak Spanish?

Toto Drake is 28-1/2" to the top of the tank
Toto Ultramax or Ultimate are 27-1/4" to the top of the tank.

Installing toilets

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The initial cost to purchase may be more, but installation is exactly the same except for a couple of styles that have some additional pieces to install. Remember the Yugo? It was sure cheap enough, but how many are still on the road? Saving a few dollars now to buy a bowl full of trouble later is very poor logic. My Toto Dartmouth (comparable to a Drake's flush) is now in its 19th month of service and has never clogged and has never required a second flush.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto has a huge number of different models. Most of them install just like any other conventional toilet...two bolts onto the flange. The Aquia and those that use the Unifit adapter take a few extra bits to hold them on. You get what you pay for. To characterize Toto as being harder or more complex to install is misinformed. even the Unifit adapter only takes a little bit longer with the right tools.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks