Need help replacing shower cartridge

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by MrAngles, Feb 9, 2008.

1. MrAngles

MrAngles New Member

I have a Price Pfister pullout single-handle shower, and water leaks from the handle when the shower is on. I figure the cartridge is where the leak is, so I'm trying to replace it, but can't figure out how I'm supposed to remove the old one. Instructions on a Danco complete shower handle and trim kit just say to pull the cartridge out, but I don't see how that's possible here:
    [​IMG]
    How do I get this thing out of there?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I think it's the inner chrome ring that threads out.
  3. MrAngles

MrAngles New Member

I figured that too, but it doesn't seem to budge. there are flat edges to it though, so I'll give it another shot. How deep do you think that piece is? Would there be a way to get some WD40 in there somehow, you think?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

5. MrAngles

MrAngles New Member

Thank you very much for the help. I finally wrestled the chrome ring off, got the cartridge out no problem, and replaced it. This solved the problem with the leaky handle, but now with everything reassembled, the faucet has a pretty steady drip of hot water when it is turned off. Do I need to try to get the cartridge further in there, or does it seem like some other problem? When I turn the hot water off at the water heater the drip stops completely, which seems odd to me...
  6. MrAngles

MrAngles New Member

I took it apart and put it back together again and it continues to leak out of the faucet, so there must be something more going on here.
  7. MrAngles

MrAngles New Member

The replacement cartridge I got must not have been the right one, because using the new stem in the old cartridge solved the problem completely.