Need help replacing bathroom sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by 14kbiz, Sep 10, 2013.

1. 14kbiz

14kbiz New Member

I usually don't tackle plumbing jobs on my own but I'm going to try replacing my bathroom vanity. It looks like something I can handle from the research I've done. However, I noticed something a little different about how the current waste pipe is installed. Here's a picture to help explain my concern. The grey waste pipe was installed directly into to PVC going into the p-trap. You can see where the top of pvc is expanded to accept the gray pipe. What's the best to go about installing the new waste pipe into the existing p-trap? I think the new sink will be the same height as the old one. I measured from the bottom/outside of sink drain to floor and measurements are the same.

Thanks.

IMG_0685.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You throw away the gray piece AND the extension below it which is glued to it. The new drain will have its own tailpiece and you will need an "extension tube" to make it longer. The extension will probably have a slip nut on it so you will not glue the two pieces together.
  3. 14kbiz

14kbiz New Member

This might be a dumb question, but will the stopper assembly be in the way of the slip nut? I don't know. Just trying to analyze anything that can go wrong. That's usually my luck, it plan everything out, get so far and have a problem. I'll try the extension tube with the slip nut. Thanks for helping me out.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The slip joint extension will work fine with the stopper.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Do not cut the new tailpiece pipe, or at least do not cut it too short, and there will be no conflict between the pop up and the slip nut.