NEED HELP: repairing/replacing pan outlet/connector leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir_Drips_Alot

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I tried to fix a slow leak coming from the 'pan outlet' (round rubber gasket thing??), but after moving it, the leak/smell got worse.

The hole in the wall is offset to the right of the toilet, so the connector is angled. The toilet's also concreted into the floor, so I can't move it. Which means I can't get the 'pan connector' (tube/pipe?) out, or in without cutting something. So my roommate cut a chunk out of the pipe coming out of the wall to get the connector out - which just made the smell even worse.

In an effort to do it on the cheap, I've been running around hardware/plumbing stores looking for the correct parts & advice on the situation. So I've included pics of the outlet, connecter to the wall fitting (taped-up to stop the smell, not the leak) and a pic of all the parts that I've been told to collect.

Can I D.I.Y it, or do I need to pay for a plumber? :confused:
Any help will be much appreciated.
I miss my shitter ... :mad:

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 360
  • Tape.jpg
    Tape.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 382
  • parts2.jpg
    parts2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 364

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You definitely need to call a plumber. The more you touch, the higher your bill will be, so call one now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; my roommate cut a chunk out of the pipe coming out of the wall to get the connector out

IT may already be too late to call a plumber. Rule #1 is that you NEVER "cut a chunk out of the pipe", unless you also know how you are going to put it back together. It looks like whoever installed it in the first place should have called a plumber. One of your problems may be that it is often "impossible" to reconnect connections like that without "moving" the toilet.

Last edited:

Sir_Drips_Alot

Reaction score
Could be wrong, but from memory, I'm pretty sure I was instructed to cut the connection tube free from the tube protruding from the wall. Then replace the pan outlet, and use the piece of tube on the left in the 3rd picture as a sleeve, along with some PVC-U Pipe Cement (Blu-Glue) to cover the wall fitting ... ? ? ?

Don't mind getting a plumber if need be.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I'm pretty sure I was instructed to cut the connection tube free from the tube protruding from the wall. Then replace the pan outlet, and use the piece of tube on the left in the 3rd picture as a sleeve, along with some PVC-U Pipe Cement (Blu-Glue) to cover the wall fitting ... ? ? ?

It depends on WHO told you that and whether they actually knew what they were doing, which might not be the case. Lots of people give "dumb advice" when they are not the ones who have to do the job.

Sir_Drips_Alot

Reaction score
"impossible" to reconnect connections like that without "moving": ... good point.

2 people told me. Well, one guy at Reeces, a plumbing store when I spoke to him. Then a plumber friend of mine confirmed it, & said I had all the right stuff to do it myself ...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I may have "all the right stuff' to rebuild a Dodge Hemi engine, but that does not mean I would attempt it without being sure of what I was doing first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks