Need help removing tub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I have never seen one like that. Maybe use a wide thin screwdriver bit?

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-windage-screw-bit-sku080430430-492-2055.aspx
t_080430430_1.jpg

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's an old Kohler spout. I have one just like it. I know they're the same since mine has the same patent number on it. My screws into a 1/2" pipe fitting nipple so it needs to be unscrewed from the wall. Like Smooky said, you need a bigger wrench. Or us a pipe over the handle of the wrench you're using to give you more leverage. Off is counter clockwise. The slot on bottom is just to access the diverter which won't help you.

Last edited:

StevenSheppard

Reaction score
That's an old Kohler spout. I have one just like it. I know they're the same since mine has the same patent number on it. My screws into a 1/2" pipe fitting nipple so it needs to be unscrewed from the wall. Like Smooky said, you need a bigger wrench. Or us a pipe over the handle of the wrench you're using to give you more leverage. Off is counter clockwise. The slot on bottom is just to access the diverter which won't help you.

Thank you very much, I'll get a bigger wrench. :)

StevenSheppard

Reaction score
Well I used a bigger wrench, and it turned, but I ended up breaking the copper pipe off. The spout didn't loosen, the pipe just ended up twisting until it snapped off. I guess I have to call the plumber now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That slot on the bottom is to work on the diverter valve in the spout. Almost ALL spouts with the diverter near the wall unscrew from a pipe thread, although some, such a this one, can be corroded to make them very tight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks