Need help removing toilet handle from tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Sara

Reaction score
Hi! The nut and assembly connected to the toilet handle is corroded and stuck to the inside of the toilet tank. I’ve tried liquid wrench, and tapped the nut and assembly gently with a hammer, but the nut remains stubbornly “welded†to the inside tank wall. I can’t move it at all, using a wrench. Should I try to hack saw through the nut? I’m afraid of damaging or breaking the tank. Is there any way to get the handle and assembly off in order to replace it? Thank you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, are you aware that the handle nut is left hand thread? If turning it CW does not budge, then it is hacksaw time.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
handle

Please don't use toilet and hammer in the same sentence.

just use a hacksaw blade and not the whole handle assembly and in no time you'll be putting on your new handle.

Sara

Reaction score
Thank you so very much for listening and giving me advice jimbo and plumber1!!!! I am so very grateful and happy! :) At last, the old handle is gone, after a loooooooooooooooong time of hack sawing with the blade. I wasn't able to move the nut with the wrench alone, even knowing which way to turn it. And for the toilet's sake, I kept the hammer out of reach, as advised!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks