need help removing kohler faucet handle

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by sound wave, Apr 18, 2007.

1. sound wave

sound wave New Member

hello everyone. i was hoping someone could help me out. i have a leak from my cold water handle and i was trying to figure out how to remove the handle so that i can tighten the inner screw.

i found an exploded picture, and i removed the allen screw (52779) under the handle, but that is as far as i can get. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

gary

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The 52545 screw is holding the handle together so removing the little screw holding the insert does not help. It has been a long time since I worked on one of them, but if I remember correctly, the "skirt" unscrews and lifts the handle with it.
  3. sound wave

sound wave New Member

thanks for the reply. i tried unscrewing the skirt, but it seems that the 53198 post prevents it from unscrewing. am i doing something wrong? thanks.
  4. albanmews

albanmews New Member

The Kohler website and forums are really unhelpful! I discovered how to remove this faucet (both sink and shower):
    Hold the faucet lever. Grab and twist the skirt under the lever and twist clockwise (as looking down at the handle). If it's tight, try using a rubber jar opener to loosen it. If really tight, use a strap wrench (I found one at Sears for under $6) to loosen. Spin the skirt clockwise until the lever is released. That exposes a Phillips head screw. Remove it to expose the underlying valve/assembly.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In any case, there is NO inner screw that you tighten to stop it from leaking. You need a new stem.