Need help - p trap broke off, leaving a piece under the slip nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan56

Reaction score
Sorry if I don't know the right names for the stuff. A complete newbie in plumbing :(

When I tried to disconnect my sink p trap, it completely broke off, rusted, leaving the end under the slip nut on the tailpiece. How can I unscrew the slip nut from this broken off p trap piece? it looks that i do not have anything to hold on when trying to disconnect the nut. Thanks!!!
My sink 002.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Slide that escutcheon away from the wall over the chrome drain pipe. What we hope to find is a trap adapter with a nut that holds the chrome piece in place. Loosen that, and replace the P trap.

But considering how shallow that escutcheon is, you may not find a nut. Instead the chrome pipe might be soldered into place or attached some other way. Take a picture of what you see, and somebody might be able to offer a solution.

Last edited:

Dan56

Reaction score
Slide that escutcheon away from the wall over the chrome drain pipe. What we hope to find is a trap adapter with a nut that holds the chrome piece in place. Loosen that, and replace the P trap.

But considering how shallow that escutcheon is, you may not find a nut. Instead the chrome pipe might be soldered into place or attached some other way. Take a picture of what you see, and somebody might be able to offer a solution.

you are right - there is a nut, though it is in the wall. You think if I loosen it, i can take out the whole tailpiece and replace it
My sink 004.jpg
?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It might help you understand what you have to do if you would go to a plumbing shop and learn how a P trap is connected to the drain.

broken-p-trap-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks