Need HELP on how to splice cut underground sprinkler wires

Users who are viewing this thread

Soca

Reaction score
I have been digging up and replacing drain pipes in my side yard. The electrical wiring from the sprinkler controller in the garage to the backyard valves runs thru this area. I noticed that my backyard sprinklers suddenly weren't working. I examined the wire ( brown plastic covering with 7 small colored wires within ) the full length of the side yard and discovered one location with two suspicious crimps in the cover. I cut open the cover and discovered that 3 of these small wires were severed and 2 of the others were badly nicked. One of the cut wires actually broke off. The wiring is taunt. That is, there is very little slack in the line. No way can I bring the two ends together to splice. It looks like I'd probably have about a 3 inch gap to deal with once the ends are ready for splicing. What DIY options do I have ? Thanks much !

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If the valves are low voltage, 3M makes splice kits that work well. Jelly filled for telephone wire.

You just cut the old wire off to clean copper, and add enough wire to make a loop.

Good Luck on your project.

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
Even if your system is 110 or 220, there is a shrink wrap slice kit for your problem.

I used a splice kit like this when I had to replace my deep well pump.

Hope this helps

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For low voltage wires, the ready made connectors work great, but you can use regular wire nuts filled with silicone. I've use these in my control box that gets filled with water and never have had a problem.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
For low voltage wires, the ready made connectors work great, but you can use regular wire nuts filled with silicone. I've use these in my control box that gets filled with water and never have had a problem.

That should work good, as long as there is enough of the wires insulation in the wire nut to get a good water proof seal.

I think Crimps are better than screw on. Soldering is optional, with crimp type.

You can solder and crimp, but it is hard to solder and screw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks