need help just replaced well tank and now air every time pump starts

Users who are viewing this thread

mal91152

Reaction score
I just pulled out an old steel tank at my sisters house and installed a bladder type tank. Now when I start the pump it takes a few seconds for the water to come and then lots of air gets in the line. I believe the old system has the lines pitched back to the well and drained after the pump went off to avoid freezing. It seems as though there was an air hiss before the water came to the tank and again when the pump went off. Is there a valve I can add to the system or do I need to tear it out and find a steel tank without a bladder?
:(

mal91152

Reaction score
If I tear out the valve then the water will stay in the line coming from the well and freeze Right? Don't they make a valve that will let the air out before the tank when the pump comes on and allow air to go back in after the pump shuts off? The well line is only buried about a foot or two below the ground and frost line is 48 inches here in the east.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The WellMate hydro-pneumatic tanks made for iron precipitation should work in that situation.
http://www.wellmate.com/en-US/produ...atic-air-water-tanks/hp-quick-connect-series/
hp.jpg

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Move the well system about 300 miles south :^). It's hard to retrofit your present installation without doing some serious changes. However I like the new Hydromatic Tank systems because they are better. Your present system has a snifter valve on a check valve near the tank and a bleeder valve in the drop pipe in the well. When the pump builds up pressure and shuts off, The check valve on the pump and the one near the tank closes, then the bleeder valve in the well opens allowing water from the tank check valve to drain back into the well, the snifter valve on the check valve at the tank allows air to enter the system, draining the water from the tank check valve back into the well below the freeze line. Each time the pump started it would pump an amount of air in to the tank. The tank had an Air Volume Control on the tank to release excess air. This worked great in it's day but the air in the tank did cause any iron in the water to oxidize causing additional problems. The proper solution is to keep the new tank and remove the check valve, the schrader valve, remove the drain back valve in the drop pipe in the well and probably bury the pipe from the well to the tank deeper. But that's a lot of work!

mal91152

Reaction score
I would like to bury the pipe deeper but it is all ledge there which is the reason for the old setup. Any other suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks