Need help in choosing & sizing water treatment equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Bedrock is the main issue with PVC, most of my well drilling customers have switched to PVC when possible for the lower intial cost and longer life expectancy. PVC in bedrock would not be allowed as far as I know, but I am not a driller. I attend seminars and trade shows and work with these guys a lot. Most of the Wells on the West coast for residential applications use PVC whenever possible.

A million dollar rig sounds about right. The NGWA show has a dozen of those inside the Las Vegas Convention center every year. I am usually manning a little booth stuck in a corner with a few products. The well drillers are amazing, it makes ou national trade show look wimpy.

Gary, has your opinion changed on PVC vs steel casing inthe past few years? I know most guys who have been doing this a while get used to a certain way and dont like change, but PVC well casing just makes sense when it is possible. What do you think?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/59821-water-well-casing-steel-pvc-2.html
One of your posts from a few years ago about PVC. Thought you never heard of them :)

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Going back a bit... Right pellets means the pellets developed by the manufacturer of the inline pellet chlorinator he invented and I sold. I bought from directly him and sold and installed and serviced a number of them before I sold any online to DIYers. His pellets are harder than other pellets and I do not believe you've tested whatever it is blocking "the ports" to be able to claim it is hardness scale (calcium) instead of being caused by the pellets. I also should ask what type retention are you using? I always used his and never had a problem with any of them. I always filled the hopper to the instructions of an inch below the bottom edge of the center tube's cap too. And the pellets would be gone with average household water use in 2.5 to 3 months.

Yes I have tested the chlorine and it is a waste of time and money. You sound as if you don't understand that there are two versions of the chlorinator I sold. The regular order of the chlorinator I sold gets you a dummy knob that does nothing but rotate uselessly. You adjust the dose by aligning a hole in the end cap with a hole in the side of the center tube.

The special order version has/is a continuous feed that is adjusted with the knob active (different part number). Continuous feed means chlorine is dosed/used every time water starts flowing and continues until the flow stops. You don't get continuous feed in the regular version, meaning depending on the water flow gpm you may or may not get some or more chlorine. For residential and small commercial well water applications you set the holes to the minimum setting; the knob doesn't do anything no matter where you set it. So you can't set it on "0" as you say you have unless you are using (misapplying actually) a continuous feed version.

The manufacturer's instructions of the chlorinator I sold says to service it before the pellets are used up. At the minimum setting, that is roughly every 8-10 weeks for the average household. That is every 2 to 2.5 months. You aren't doing that or telling your customers to do it.
Guess you didn't like my last post. I really could care less of the ones you sold. I only worry about the equipment I sell and if it is nothing but trouble (as I have found with these pellet chlorinator) I will let as many people know the trouble I have had. I use only the pellets my supplier recommends for the chlorinator. Besides, how many time have you seen chlorine grow stalagtites? Don't bother answering. I'm done with this.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Guess you didn't like my last post. I really could care less of the ones you sold. I only worry about the equipment I sell and if it is nothing but trouble (as I have found with these pellet chlorinator) I will let as many people know the trouble I have had. I use only the pellets my supplier recommends for the chlorinator. Besides, how many time have you seen chlorine grow stalagtites? Don't bother answering. I'm done with this.
Your last post was nothing but a personal attack on me.

Now you are saying you only worry about the equipment you sell, yet you have been talking about that equipment as if it is what I sold. Or that what I sold was the same equipment. And buying pellets your supplier suggests. I bought what I was selling from the manufacturer of the chlorinator and the pellets he developed for use in his pellet chlorinator. And me and my customers followed his instructions and I added my own to his and my customers using his equipment and all the instructions do not have the problems you had with the equipment you sold. IMO because you act like many other dealers I have seen that do not follow directions and then run down the equipment when it doesn't work for you or your customers.

I have seen bleach cause solution feeder injectors etc. to block up, that is chlorine and no I haven't seen the pellets block "ports" because I and my customers did proper and timely service but it is mentioned as a possibility when service is not down when it should be.

BTW, my experience with many suppliers' personnel is that they have never sold to the end user or serviced the majority of the equipment they sell their dealers and yet many dealers rely on their information. I never did that, I went to the manufacturers and was always warmly welcomed and was thanked for the effort. You might want to do that too.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well yes, most suppliers and distributors have probably not sold to the general public at least I hope they have not, otherwise how are we supposed to compete? And again, they don't service them either, that's our job.

So it is your conclusion that mialynette is not properly servicing his customers?

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Well yes, most suppliers and distributors have probably not sold to the general public at least I hope they have not, otherwise how are we supposed to compete? And again, they don't service them either, that's our job.

So it is your conclusion that mialynette is not properly servicing his customers?
Some distributors have web sites that sell to the end user.

Based on the chlorinator I sold and mialynette's statements concerning the length of time between his servicing his customers that are using it, yes, he is not servicing it per the manufacturer's instructions.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some distributors have web sites that sell to the end user.

Based on the chlorinator I sold and mialynette's statements concerning the length of time between his servicing his customers that are using it, yes, he is not servicing it per the manufacturer's instructions.
Instead of constantly deleting my posts why don’t you prove me wrong. I say the ports (2) in the pellet chlorinator I sell get clogged with calcium. Prove me wrong on how I service them. Is it because you can not and therefore must result in deleting my posts for you to feel superior?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
You have a problem with blocked "ports", I didn't and my customers didn't.

The reason I and my customers didn't have the problem was because we cleaned the center tube, the cap and the rest of the chlorinator sooner than your 4-8 moths.

Now IMO, and I suspect the opinion of many the unknowns reading this thread, I'd think you'd see the cause of your problem as incorrect service on your equipment but, all I see and hear from you is that the equipment is bad.... DUH!!

The reality is that it really doesn't matter what the blockage material is, YOU aren't cleaning the ports soon enough to prevent the blockage from forming but...

Without testing the material causing the blockage you make a guess that it is calcium. If you mean hardness scale, in cold water water hardness scale usually needs a fairly good flow through a flow restriction before it can be formed and block the restriction. I suspect you don't know that.

If you don't mean hardness scale, although you did mention the water hardness as a cause, what do you mean by claiming it is calcium; where does it come from? IMO it can only be hardness scale or from the pellets. Or, how about sulfates or chlorides?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have a problem with blocked "ports", I didn't and my customers didn't.

The reason I and my customers didn't have the problem was because we cleaned the center tube, the cap and the rest of the chlorinator sooner than your 4-8 moths.

Now IMO, and I suspect the opinion of many the unknowns reading this thread, I'd think you'd see the cause of your problem as incorrect service on your equipment but, all I see and hear from you is that the equipment is bad.... DUH!!

The reality is that it really doesn't matter what the blockage material is, YOU aren't cleaning the ports soon enough to prevent the blockage from forming but...

Without testing the material causing the blockage you make a guess that it is calcium. If you mean hardness scale, in cold water water hardness scale usually needs a fairly good flow through a flow restriction before it can be formed and block the restriction. I suspect you don't know that.

If you don't mean hardness scale, although you did mention the water hardness as a cause, what do you mean by claiming it is calcium; where does it come from? IMO it can only be hardness scale or from the pellets. Or, how about sulfates or chlorides?

Thank you for making my point. With an injection system, service is not require but maybe every 2 years (i'm not talking about just filling the solution tank). With the pellet chlorinator, service is required more often and why people would want to be a slave to their equipment.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
IMO you sold equipment without knowing much if anything about it. When you had a problem with it you bad mouthed the equipment and now me because I sold it.

It sounds to me as if you haven't sold many solution feeder systems or you'd know more about their service needs. Replacing solution once a week or once a month is service IMO. Do you have those customers check the strength of their solution after they add solution? How about periodic testing for the chlorine residual? How about blowing down their retention tank? How about follow up water quality tests for whatever they are using the chorine to treat, you let them go over two years for all those things huh...

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
IMO you sold equipment without knowing much if anything about it. When you had a problem with it you bad mouthed the equipment and now me because I sold it.

It sounds to me as if you haven't sold many solution feeder systems or you'd know more about their service needs. Replacing solution once a week or once a month is service IMO. Do you have those customers check the strength of their solution after they add solution? How about periodic testing for the chlorine residual? How about blowing down their retention tank? How about follow up water quality tests for whatever they are using the chorine to treat, you let them go over two years for all those things huh...
You've got to be kidding me! Why do you always read into something and twist it around so you look good? Are you afraid of something. I do everything you mentioned or instruct the customer on the proper procedure. When I say there is little maintainance on an injection pump, I mean I do not have to take it apart to fix it, unclog any holes, replace any parts or do anything close to what is needed on a pellet chlorinator. Whereas you have to instruct your customer on the proper cleaning of it every 8-10 weeks. That means you have to clean the unit 5+ times a year vs cleaning the injector about every 2 years. You can debate this all you want, I'm done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks