Need help identifying the part..and how to fix :)

Users who are viewing this thread

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi,

As a complete novice when it comes to this sort of thing, I could really use some advice. I have attached a couple of photos of what I believe is the valve of my outside pipe that is split. Can anybody point me in the direction of what part I need to buy as a replacement and possibly the steps to fix? From what I can make out, it is a Febco 600 WOG. But looking online, there appear to be a bunch of different types of 600 WOG (on ebay anyway).

Here is one that I found:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEBCO-2-THR...137661?hash=item3f593d6dbd:g:ZjoAAOSw1S9WcuHF

Thanks v. much!

Attachments

• split1.jpg
    split1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 284
  • split2.jpg
    split2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 347

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I believe it is only the ball valve. It looks like it is attached with a thread on each end. I can take a photo in the morning though and post it on here.

Thanks again!

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Also, there are so many different types available on those sites! Any idea how I figure out which one I need? Thanks.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Thanks all. Smooky, you are spot on. The Febco 600 WOG part is attached to the 765 piece (which is far as I could tell didn't have any damage). I was hoping that since it looks like the 600 is threaded into the 765, that I wouldn't have to replace the 765 as well. Is that correct? Of course, I have no idea how to even remove the split 600 part from the one above :) Widgit Maker, your description on the photo is VERY helpful, however. Craigpump, yes, this is all feeding the sprinkler system.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
600 wog is NOT a valve "type" it is a pressure rating. That valve is part of a "pressure vacuum breaker/backflow preventer". ANY ball valve will replace it, but some repiping will probably be necessary.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a wall or something that is preventing you from taking a picture of the front of the valve? Maybe get someone to help you take the photo. The size of the valve is probably after the 765 number up there where it says FEBCO.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Hi Smooky, here is a photo from the front. Looks like it says 765-1 on that main part.

Attachments

• split4.jpg
    split4.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 297

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Thanks Smooky and everybody else who helped! I have put in an order for the 1" ball valve. One last question...what sort of tool do I need to remove the valve (to unscrew the existing piece from the top piece). I will probably cut it from the bottom, but won't it still be attached to the backflow preventer above it? Thanks again! Apologies for the simplistic questions...truly a beginner with this sort of thing. I do at least have the soldering kit + blow torch!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Two pipe wrenches, one on the ball valve and one on the base of the back-flow to unscrew the parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks