need help identifying softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Billfig

Reaction score
My son's house water is bad, its an old farmhouse. It has a new chlorinator? well pump, hot water tank and a huge wellmate "holding tank"? and an old looking softener type deal tank with a big valve on top but there is no salt tank??? It is a hydroflo devive-blue tank? Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
We can not tell you what type of valve you have unless you post a pic of it. As for the media, it could be carbon, BIRM or anyone of a number of medias.

Billfig

Reaction score
My son's house water is bad, its an old farmhouse. It has a new chlorinator? well pump, hot water tank and a huge wellmate "holding tank"? and an old looking softener type deal tank with a big valve on top but there is no salt tank??? It is a hydroflo devive-blue tank? Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks
Seems this setup is missing a salt/brine tank?

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 517

Reach4

Reaction score
It's not a water softener. mialynette2003 has the idea.

That chlorination recipe written on the tank is stronger than my Centaur Carbon. That may provide a clue as to what your media is.

You could get that same concentration of bleach by using a weaker bleach but more of it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
As others have said, it is not a softener. The picture will not say what media is in it but it does beg to ask what time you took it cuz the clock on it says 4:00 AM! If you don't set the clock it will backwash at the wrong time.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the carbon removes chlorine in a chemical reaction that oxidizes the carbon surface. As such, the carbon is consumed and not regenerated by backwashing. Backwashing would actually squander some of the capacity.

Reach4

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the carbon removes chlorine in a chemical reaction that oxidizes the carbon surface. As such, the carbon is consumed and not regenerated by backwashing. Backwashing would actually squander some of the capacity.

OK. The carbon is not consumed. At least with the Centaur Carbon, the carbon serves as a catalyst. The backwash cleans the carbon. The backwash is at a higher flow rate than an average water softener.. I think there is some mechanical filtering by the media in addition to the catalytic reaction. My understanding is not deep, and I would like to read more on this.

I would expect the chlorine to be mostly removed during the rinse.

Last edited:

Billfig

Reaction score
As others have said, it is not a softener. The picture will not say what media is in it but it does beg to ask what time you took it cuz the clock on it says 4:00 AM! If you don't set the clock it will backwash at the wrong time.
Yea I noticed that too, its like 6 hrs off...I prolly wont mess with it..I figured all water treatment needed a salt/brine tank to clean media of minerals? So is the chlorine cleaning the media? or doesnt it need cleaning? His water is very crappy, someone said there is a lot of sulfar in that area? The owner did have a plumber come in & renew the pressure tank/pump/furnace and installed that chlorine tank.when they started using the old house which was dormant and just acquired with farming land.

Billfig

Reaction score

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've always said the same thing because I was taught that way. I don't know the real difference with Centaur or coconut shell carbon other than they both work great at cleaning the water.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you tell which pins are pushed in? I think 1 & 4, so backwashing every 3 days. Unless there is iron or turbidity, does it make sense to backwash that often?
Can't tell which pins are pushed in. You would have to know what the chlorine is combating to know how often to backwash.

Billfig

Reaction score
So is the chlorine in tank used to "clean" the media of minerals instead of a salt brine tank?

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
No. Chlorine is used to kill bacteria or oxidize iron and sulfur. Carbon will remove the oxidized iron, sulfur and chlorine in the water. Carbon does not remove minerals. It removes chemical and/or odors.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Can you post more pictures? Do you have any form of chlorine injection or is the chlronie tube connected directly to the Autotrol valve?

If it connected directly, can yo take the cover off the valve and send a picture of the cam across the top. it may have been modified for this specific and unique design.

Billfig

Reaction score
No. Chlorine is used to kill bacteria or oxidize iron and sulfur. Carbon will remove the oxidized iron, sulfur and chlorine in the water. Carbon does not remove minerals. It removes chemical and/or odors.
OK thanks. So this complete setup is just the 1 tank and the chlorine tank....

Billfig

Reaction score
Can you post more pictures? Do you have any form of chlorine injection or is the chlronie tube connected directly to the Autotrol valve?

If it connected directly, can yo take the cover off the valve and send a picture of the cam across the top. it may have been modified for this specific and unique design.
I'll have to see where that chlorine line even goes? I dont see it going to the auto-trol valve/tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'll have to see where that chlorine line even goes? I dont see it going to the auto-trol valve/tank.

It would connect to the controller the same way a brine tank would. What will be different is the lower amount drawn than it would during a softener salt draw, and there is no refill phase that a water softener would have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks