Need help identifying shower diverter valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by pfreeze, Jul 11, 2011.

1. pfreeze

pfreeze New Member

Hi All!

My name is Paul and I have minimal plumbing experience. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, my shower diverter valve began not diverting water to the shower as it should when I turn it. In the process of removing it, I broke the stem.

Anyway, I took it to Home Depot, but their plumbing guy couldn't identify it and thought it might be European or maybe even Spanish. I took it to an expert plumbing store, but they couldn't match it in their reference book, although they thought it might be a Grohe.

Attached is a photo. It is at least 15 years old and has a 20 spline broach. Any help is appreciated.

Paul
    Diverter Valve.jpg
  2. PlumbPowerHouse

PlumbPowerHouse Plumber

Sometimes, it's just better to update and install a new valve.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Grohe does not have splines. It does have some similarities to a Kohler, which does have a 20 spline stem, although the handle does not look like a Kohler.
  5. pfreeze

pfreeze New Member

Thank you

My sentiments exactly....I don't mind replacing if I have to, but if I can replace this valve and avoid redoing the shower tile to install a whole new faucet system, I'll go that route for now.

Thank you for the info on the Eljer EL5011. The schematic looks about right on, so I'll follow up with the local experts or with Alfano and see what happens.

Paul

6. pfreeze

pfreeze New Member

So, as an update, turns out the guy at Home Depot was right. My shower valves and master sink valves are Spanish. I found the name "Docol". Looked it up at Chicago Faucet Shoppe and found the diverter for about $25 (Docal 89200 Diverter Cartridge). Lot better than breaking out tile!

Thank you for your help.

Paul