Need help identifying cap in cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Mattt

Reaction score
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. I've exhausted my searches trying to figure out what to call this cap I've found during a basement finish, so I'm looking for some additional help. I'm trying to set up a test with an inflatable test-ball to make sure my shower pan and associated drain lines will hold water. I located the cleanout, installed by the builder when the home was built (2010) and pulled off the above-ground cap to discover a screw-in cap that I haven't encountered before. Markings on the cap are sparse, but do include "tighten to hand tight + 1/8 turn", and that's about it, that I can see. This leads me to believe that it is threaded in, but no amount of turning on it will get it to budge. I don't have a proper wrench or tool for it, and don't know what it's called, which is why I need a little assistance.

There may be some sort of brand logo, it looks like it says "UPC" or maybe "UPVC", but it's a little hard to make out. The surrounding pipe is 6" pvc, and the cap itself is about 2-3" below the level of the concrete around it, about 8" down in the surrounding pipe. I assume it connects to a 3" or maybe 4" line below that. I've included shots from directly above, looking down, from behind the framed wall, and a shot of the pipes prior to the concrete being poured. This is probably fairly simple, but I've never encountered it, and I don't want to just tear the cap out, to discover that I've caused some other problem by doing so.

If someone can help me identify it, or tell me the name of a tool that might help me get it off (I've improvised a couple of tools out of lumber, but all of them break when I apply torque to try to turn it), I would be so grateful. Or, I suppose, if it's just a 6" cap that I can tear out and replace with a square-drive cap, that would be good to know as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattt

Reaction score
Oh man, you're exactly right! Thank you! Now I just need to figure out how to get it off, so I can get inside... I tried cutting a couple of slots in a 2X4 to match the tabs on the lid, and managed a fair bit of torque on it, but it didn't budge, and just tore the makeshift tool to pieces...

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that the same as this?
img_4.png
Is that first picture on the main floor of a house that is above the basement, or is it a basement somewhere else? I have an idea if it is above the basement.

Mattt

Reaction score
I wanted to get inside to install a ball-test inflatable plug to do a standing water test on a shower pan installed upstream from this pipe. It is in the basement, which was leading to the issue of not being able to get a good grip on it. I actually had a neighbor come over and give me some extra muscle and managed to get it off, and it is indeed a backwater valve. It kind of just took two of us, one to push down to keep a piece of wood wedged in between the plastic tabs, while the other turned; was on fairly tight. Now on to replacing the leaky closet flange, so I can perform the test...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks