Need help identifying an American Standard two handle shower cartridge

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by steelpeart, Oct 4, 2013.

1. steelpeart

steelpeart New Member

I have a poor seat on an older (1980's) American Standard 2-handle shower and need to find the replacement cartridge. I'm attaching pictures but there are no visible numbers on this type. It would be good if I could just replace the cartridges and the handles.

Thanks in advance for your help!

233.jpg 232.jpg

As you can see, the seat on this cartridge is worn.
  2. Smooky

Smooky Member

3. Chris Enslow

Chris Enslow New Member

Smooky - thank you (yes, I'm SteelPeart)
  4. robert13084

robert13084 New Member

Its an american standard aquaseal. I recommend replacing the whole stem but you can get the black gasket as well. Home depot should stock the stem.
  5. asktom

asktom Member

I think it is a "Cadet", not an "Aqua Seal" - the washer is smaller. You should also change the seat. The OEM# for the stem is 44261-07. The seat is 13274-04 and the size is 7/16" X 24 thread and it is 1 3/16" tall.
  6. steelpeart

steelpeart New Member

Yes, you are exactly right and over this past weekend, this Cadet unit has taken me down the road to ruin. One plumbing supply store carries these and they are not open until Monday. Although I had replaced the worn cartridges I am now in the position to have to replace the seats as well.

I've been directed to a local plumbing supply store who supposedly carries an improved cartridge/seat combo for this particular 2 knob shower set.

At current time, the shower is leaking at an alarming rate.