Need help fixing ground loop

Users who are viewing this thread

Labarr15

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a new headset for christmas and whenever I enable the mic i get a buzzing noise through my speakers.
After searching the web I found that I need to somehow ground my laptop to something inorder to make it stop. (I believe its a Ground loop noise) <--- can anyone confirm that?

I have a sony vaio f laptop with the original adapter (2 prongs go into the outlet in the wall)
I am using a asus vulcan headset (analog)

Note: When the laptop is plugged into the power adapter the buzzing happens.
When I unplug the adapter and run straight from the battery, the mic works fine. (Makes sense)

I just am not sure what is the best way to fix this issue..

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks for the help :p

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hi,

I got a new headset for christmas and whenever I enable the mic i get a buzzing noise through my speakers.
After searching the web I found that I need to somehow ground my laptop to something inorder to make it stop. (I believe its a Ground loop noise) <--- can anyone confirm that?

I have a sony vaio f laptop with the original adapter (2 prongs go into the outlet in the wall)
I am using a asus vulcan headset (analog)

Note: When the laptop is plugged into the power adapter the buzzing happens.
When I unplug the adapter and run straight from the battery, the mic works fine. (Makes sense)

I just am not sure what is the best way to fix this issue..

Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks for the help :p

If Your Laptop is not connected to any other device connected to a ac line (IE Stereo System), I doubt that it is a ground loop.

You are probably hearing the Switching Supply in your Laptops Power Adapter.

You can try to reduce the Mic Gain, or maybe connect the Microphone to the AUX in.

Also verify that the Mic Boost is OFF.

Mic.jpg

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
It's not a ground loop. That term gets thrown around far too easily these days, especially in a residential application.

Besides, your laptop has a two-prong receptacle, how can it be a ground loop?

Labarr15

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Ya i wasn't sure if it was a ground loop. I dont know anything about stuff like this sorry.

So with this switching supply in my adapter, is there something i can do to stop the buzzing noise? or is there other power adapters out there that doesn't do this?
Thanks again!

DonL

Reaction score
Did adjusting the Mic gain help or change anything ?

Some switching supplies are filtered better than others, You just have to find a good one.

switching supplies are efficient but also emit Interference , depending on the switching frequency, but most just happen to be in the audio frequency range.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

Is it a polarized plug? If not try reversing it. If polarized, verify that the outlet is wired correctly.

Can you not just run off the battery when using the mic?

At work we had a QA tool that was built around a HP Tablet PC and used the mic jack to interface to the measuring device. The guys got tired of lugging it on their shoulder and built a shelf for it but in so doing, left it plugged into the AC adapter. Like with your laptop, the AC adapter introduced noise but in their case it rendered the QA testing void. The solution was to unplug the charger during use.

Labarr15

Reaction score
Did adjusting the Mic gain help or change anything ?

Some switching supplies are filtered better than others, You just have to find a good one.

switching supplies are efficient but also emit Interference , depending on the switching frequency, but most just happen to be in the audio frequency range.

The Mic gain does no good (best when left at 0)

Is it a polarized plug? If not try reversing it. If polarized, verify that the outlet is wired correctly.

Can you not just run off the battery when using the mic?

At work we had a QA tool that was built around a HP Tablet PC and used the mic jack to interface to the measuring device. The guys got tired of lugging it on their shoulder and built a shelf for it but in so doing, left it plugged into the AC adapter. Like with your laptop, the AC adapter introduced noise but in their case it rendered the QA testing void. The solution was to unplug the charger during use.

The plug fits into the outlet either way, which means it isnt polarized? So i tried both ways and they both give off the humming noise... I use the headset for gaming so running of the battery wont do me very good for very long lol.

Im gonna look into a new power adapter and hopefully a better quality one might fix it..

If you guys have anymore suggestions keep them coming!!!
Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does the end of the cord have a ferrite filter evident by a large bulge? If not, you could clip on a two piece filter and see if that makes any difference.

ferrite.gif

Labarr15

Reaction score
No i do not. but I will go and get one tomorrow and see what happens,

I am also gonna look into the new AC adapter, what should i look for in it?

Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Take the laptop and headset with you to the store and try it out before you buy. Maybe one with a third prong might have better filtering and most all I see these days have the ferrite filter on the end of the wire.

DonL

Reaction score
Take the laptop and headset with you to the store and try it out before you buy.

That would be the best thing to do.

I have a New Hp Laptop and it does not have a Filter on the DC out, but it does use the 3 Prong grounded connector.

If you are using the laptop as a gaming system, do you have a computer monitor connected or anything else plugged into the same AC Power strip ?

Labarr15

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input,

I just ordered a new AC adapter, which has 3 prongs and has a ferrite filter on it.. Hopefully it works, and ill let you know when i get it.

Thanks!

Labarr15

Reaction score
Hi again, the new ac adapter didn't fix it :(

But i was thinking, I use to use a USB headset, that worked great...

If I buy a external sound card (connected by usb), Do you think that might fix the issue? Cuz after doing alot more searching around.. I come to the fact that the internal sound card is crap :p

Thanks for everything!!!

DonL

Reaction score
Do you have any other devices connected to your computer ?

Or setting near something else connected.

Using it Online ? Wired or wireless ?

Labarr15

Reaction score
I only have a wireless mouse receiver plugged in. Also the headset is wireless. I don't have any other electronic devices around. I use the headset for gaming

DonL

Reaction score
Wireless headsets and Wireless Bluetooth are often on the same frequency. 2.4 Gig. Range.

You might want to try to change channels, if you have that option.

Connecting to the Line may also increase the Interference.

DonL

Reaction score
Srry I don't know what i was thinking. Its a wired headset. Sorry!

You may be able to use a Audio Equalizer Software that works for your sound card, Then turn down the offending frequency.

Sony makes good stuff, When it works. It is Great.

I would try the EQ, It may even be built into your OS.

DonL

Reaction score
You may want to put your problem over on Terry's Computer Forum.

More computer geeks may be over there.

Have a Good New Year.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks