Need help finding thermostatic shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

dawnjamin

Reaction score
I just bought a house and have found that the fancy shower has a malfunctioning?/broken? thermostatic valve. We've removed it and tried to clean it to no avail. This is not your typical mixer to blend hot and cold, and these things are pretty specific to the shower that they are installed in unfortunately. The company who remodeled the bathroom says that the manufacturer is from Israel, and they pulled out of the U.S. market a few years ago. I have repeatedly tried contacting them using their email I found online, but they do not respond. I've found some valves online that are not quite right that cost $200-$300. So I know I'm looking at an expense, but I cannot find one that is 100% correct.

The shower panel is a Hamat DDS-Allison, model 5-8843-ST. The installer has no ideas of where to locate one of these and suggested I get onto a forum such as this to start inquiring.

I've inserted some pictures. It is held in place with a set screw on the bottom. Most of the ones I find online screw into place. For now I cannot find any identifying numbers on the thing. Next time I am able to get my husband to remove it I will go over it with a magnifying glass looking for something. Any help anyone can provide in locating one of these things would be most appreciated.

20150503_122005.jpg

20150503_112137.jpg 20150503_112244.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last edited:

dawnjamin

Reaction score
Thank you Smooky, for the reply! One of the spare cartridges on the Hudson Reed website looked like a really good possibility. I emailed them because it is out of stock on their website, and they replied that their cartridges are compatible only with their products. Would anyone have any opinion on this? Possibly they are wanting me to buy one of their products, thereby discouraging my trying a replacement part? Are these things proprietary?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The spline count will help you figure out or narrow down which brand of faucet you have. The total length will help you narrow down the choices too. There may be several brands that use a similar cartridge but they will have different handles etc. You need to narrow down the possibilities.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While some companies do make aftermarket replacement parts for various manufacturers, but the likelihood of an OEM's guts fitting some other OEM's valve body is slim to none. It MIGHT happen, but it's highly unlikely. Some of these somewhat exotic brands almost need to be treated as a one-time use...when it fails, it needs total replacement as parts are not available. There are advantages to using something like a Delta valve...they support their stuff for a very long time and because the volume is high, there are aftermarket parts available, too (OEM generally are better, but not always).

dawnjamin

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks