Need help finding right stem extension

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bKNIGHT, Oct 7, 2012.

1. bKNIGHT

bKNIGHT New Member

The brass part on the original ones spin freely( poor design) The heat from the hot water side has made the glue holding the brass loose. This happened on two showers. :mad:

Pics show what I have. I've tried a couple extensions I got from homedepot. One was to long ( the sleeve could not reach the threads)

The other looked to be perfect but it was to wide in diameter. It would go into the sleeve but there is a step at the end of the sleeve that it would bump into. I could thread the sleeve in a tighten but there was to much friction and the knobs would need too much force to turn.

So I'm looking for the proper stem extension. Might replace the stem too. Getting a nicer looking sleeve would be good if anyone knows a replacement.

This has been very frustrating. Yesterday I bought the ones that were too long. I tried all day trying to rig those up to work by cutting them down. Thought I was good to go but only to turn water back on and find them leaking. Today I went and bought the ones that looked to be the right size and still no go.:mad:

So any help is much appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. bKNIGHT

bKNIGHT New Member

3. bKNIGHT

bKNIGHT New Member

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Well, your initial premise is incorrect, because "hot water" never cause a glue joint to loosen, so there was some other problem. We would have to know the model number of the faucet to determine the proper extension., although my experience has been that they all use the #RP18627, but I don't know how that number translates to a Danco part.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Your original seems to match the Valley, although I don't recall whether they used the brass stem. It is not Delta
  6. bKNIGHT

bKNIGHT New Member

On both the showers only the hot side is spinning freely. Maybe because their used more?
    How can I find a part number?

Does anyone know the diffrence between

Danco #18067
    Danco #18068
  7. bKNIGHT

bKNIGHT New Member

8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you can identify the actual valve, you're always better off buying an OEM stem/cartridge. Often, the Danko works, but not always...
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A handle tha "spins" freely usually means it has broken stop in it, not that it has a bad extension. Valley has a "square" section around the stem, but the picture is taken from an angle which does not show that portion properly. The left hand extension in the first picture is for Valley, the right hand one is Delta. They are NOT interchangeable, and if you used lever handles, the handles would fit but would be backwards when the valve was off, (or operate backwards if the handles were correct).
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  10. bKNIGHT

bKNIGHT New Member

11. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

On the left side of the page you link, just click on "Premier" a decidedly "off" brand!
  12. bKNIGHT

bKNIGHT New Member

Yea they have the right diverter but not the sleeve. Is sleeve even the right name for it? Any other names it is called?