Need help finding a replacement shower/tub combo unit

Users who are viewing this thread

madlinux

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been looking all over for a shower/tub replacement unit for my homes master bathroom. Maybe someone here know if anything exists?

Here is a picture of the unit.

2010-05-11_20.34.24&.jpg

As you can see it is the original unit from when the house was built. I am not sure if it makes more sense to just try and repair it or find something to replace it with. I would like to place a large fiberglass shower unit that would take up the entire space, but from my searching I do not think that something like that exists.

The tub leaks water from the drain, the previous home owner has grinded down the fiberglass from the underside of the tub (bathroom is on second storey), and used some type of grey epoxy that is super hard to join the ABS pipe to the drain of the tub, alas the tub still leaks from that area.

Sorry if I am being wordy, I just want to give the facts to others more knowledgeable that I, I would like to know what options I have without breaking the bank :) Any help or comments is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That tub will be 60" long between the studs.
Just pick up a 60 x 34 shower pan, and then decide how to cover the walls.
Tile, Laminate, Cultured Marble

Or you can pick up a kit with pan and three walls. The disadvantage of the kits, is that they don't go very high, and you wind up having to drywall over the nail flanges.
A standard shower door is too high for the too short walls.
You spend less on the kit, wow! a big savings, and then you take the savings and give it to a drywall contractor.

Or have a cultured marble shower or tile, then you can go to the ceiling if needed without doing drywall repair, the doors will fit, and it will look better.
Since you are cutting up the existing tub to remove it, don't worry about the epoxy, that will be cut out.
Don't forget to replace the shower valve at this time.
Moen, Delta, Grohe, no Pegasus please.
The idea is to have a new pressure balanced valve that you will be able to get parts for in the future.
You can't get parts for Pegasus.

dm_seafoam.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Call a plumber or remodeling contractor. YOU are not going to be able to change it yourself, so call a company which will do the work, and they will tell you what will fit, depending on your requirements.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It all depends on your skill level. Some people hire somebody to replace a light bulb, some people can build an airplane in their garage. Most people are somewhere inbetween. If you want to try to build a shower, check out www.johnbridge.com. It also helps if you have the right tools, and those can add significantly to the installed cost if you don't already own them. Knowing how to use them is priceless. Especially if this is the only bathroom, you need it done fairly quickly, and the typical homeowner can't do that, at least the first time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks