Need help dealing with old sewer vent

Users who are viewing this thread

brianb

Reaction score
My house was built in 1940 but remodeled recently, and I bought it after being remodelled. I'm putting in a wine cellar in the basement and from time to time would smell a sewage smell in the work area but couldn't figure out where this was coming from. After removing some base trim I finally found the culprit. Where I removed the base trim, just underneath the edge of the drywall on an interior wall, I noticed a hole in the basement concrete floor that appears to be a 2" galvanized pipe that was cut off at the base of the concrete but never capped or plugged. It is definitely a sewer vent, as I can hear the drain water echoing through the pipe, and the smell of sewer gas is pretty strong.

The house has all new plumbing in it, and I am pretty sure has new vents through the attic. My guess is that the remodellers cut this old galvanized pipe and either forgot about it or concealed it. I have access to the remodelling plans, and can check to verify that the new DWV system is adequately vented via new vents. If I can verify this, is there any reason why I can't simply plug this vent, and if so, how should I do it given the pipe was cut off at the floor?

Assuming they make a kind of rubber stopper I think I could get it in there to fit this within the opening, and would just need to figure out how to secure it. However, should I be concerned about the risk of sewage backup? If so, the only thing I can think of is to take out a chunk of wall, chisel the concrete floor around the opening, put on a real pipe cap, and then patch the floor and wall. I'll do that if that is the only smart choice -- but if there is an easier solution I am all ears.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make plugs that work much like a thermos stopper. I don't know for certain what sizes they come in, but that would be my first option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks