Need help choosing a Toto..or Mansfield toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Petal

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new, but have been reading the forums for quite a while now. Great info- thank you Terry! But even with all my reading I'm still stuck as to which toilet to get!
I'm eventually going to be remodeling our only tiny bathroom, but decided it would be nice to have an ADA height toilet now rather than waiting. It can always be pulled and reinstalled later. On my wish list are
1. bowl height of 17 inches at least...16 7/8 would be acceptable too, but no less, as 5 back surgeries make it difficult for me now to get up and down from a seated position and I know aging won't be a friend! :eek: Also, my Mum is 86 and would be happier with the higher seat height.
2. NO pressure assist
3. would love that "skirted" look for easier cleaning..I hate trying to get the sides of our toilet clean...that dust never seems to want to come off!

Our bathroom is small- 5x5 floor area and the toilet sits close to a wall....if you're sitting on the toilet facing the tub the wall is inches from the seat on the left. There's an American Standard in now with a round front bowl and I understand that elongated bowls are only an inch or so longer.

My local plumbing supply has Mansfield brand toilets and they seem quite good. They can also order in Toto. We have a Toto in the basement (typical Pgh install- toilet in the corner of the basement! ) that my Mum had installed years ago- it's great and trouble free all these years and after reading about the great track record here I'm thinking of going Toto in the bathroom upstairs. I tried looking at their website and was thoroughly confused with all the models...plus I couldn't find bowl heights for the toilets.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can browse this website for descriptions of Toto toilets. Just start at the upper left of this page and click "Toilet Reviews". This takes you to a different section of this site. Now click on "Shopping". On the page that comes up, click on "Toto Toilets". You should realize that the prices listed are what Terry sells them for. Your local shop may charge more, but virtually no one sells for MSRP. Besides ADA height, you might want to consider Universal or Comfort Height. These are just a little lower than ADA, and may work OK for you. You should check your rough in size before shopping. Measure from the bolts that hold the toilet to the flange to the finished wall behind the toilet. While 12" rough in is the most common, a toilet sold as a 12" usually will fit in less space. The tank will just set closer to the wall. Come back here if you have additional questions.

Petal

Reaction score
Thanks Gary! This will be a great help in making a decision. I know we have a 12 inch rough in. I actually had a contractor here arguing with me that it was 10 inch. I asked him to show me how he figured that- he measured from the wall to the center of the toilet...needless to say I showed him the door!
One question I do have- I noticed in many posts that the length of the supply seems to be a concern. Our supply comes up from the floor, not the wall and the length to the present American Standard is 8 1/2 inches...that's the measurement of the actual supply line not including the fitting on the toilet tank or the supply pipe itself.
Time to do some virtual shopping now- thanks again!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For supply lines, most of us prefer the kind that has the braided stainless steel mesh around them. These come in various lengths. Get one that is long enough to fit without effort, in fact even a loop in it is fine. My master bath toilet's supply comes through the floor also. Not the greatest idea in the world, but it would have been a challenge to change and not much benefit other than ease of cleaning around. If you were in a full scale remodel with wall and flooring removed, then the change would be easier, but otherwise, "It ain't broke, don't fix it."

Petal

Reaction score
Thanks Gary- I really appreciate the help. I've been "virtual shopping" and now have added the Soiree and Guinevere to my list- decisions decisions!! LOL!

I thought it was "if it ain't broke, you're not trying"....no wait, that's Red Green :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks