Need Help!! Broken water pipe into house

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

The "no solder joints underground" only applies indoors under a concrete floor. Outdoors you can do whatever you want with whatever tubing you like. By the time you finish the plumber's price, and it should be a lot less than $400.00, is going to look cheap to you.

t-rev

Reaction score
Well I gave it a shot last night and failed. I thought I had everything done correctly until I turned the main water line on. It had leaks where I put the couplers on. I gave in and called a plumber, I had 3 different quotes, $320 from Roto Rooter, $200 from ARS and finally found an independent plumber that is going to do for $125. It was a good learning experience though, thanks for all the help

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The last post about price comparisons between plumbers with the word "rooter" in their business name, and/or a 1-800 telephone number, versus a local tradesman with a local phone number.......very telling!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Plumbers that work for companies with "Rooter" in their name are "Pimped" plumbers!
They have to charge more to pay their greedy Pimp!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If I could get any plumber around here out of bed for $320 let alone $125 I would never have learnt to solder!

You should never have attempted that job with those prices in your area. But you have my sympathy. You have explained one of my nightmares. My worst is what to do if the pipe splits before the meter just as it enters my house. I hope that day never comes.

Before the main shut off at the meter I call a plumber. After it, it's my turn. For $125 to get a plumber out, I'd sit back and get a plumber to pipe the money pit in gold! I'd hang washing off my water pipes and bounce a football off my water heater.

Just to be clear, in DC a plumber won't knock on your door for less than $500. And he'll almost certainly be late, if he turns up at all.

The holes at ARS must also adopt local pricing policies. Last time I called them it was $500 to solder two new gate valves that feed my washer. A 5 minute job that gave me the incentive to DIY. I have never looked back.

But $125. Good on ya!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm speechless and very happy for you.

Last edited:

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
. My worst is what to do if the pipe splits before the meter just as it enters my house. I hope that day never comes.

I know what I do, I pay my Water Company $75 per year for main line insurance and another $75 for the sewer line protection. If I ever have any problems it will be well worth it.

My inlaws had a leak in the main that sprung just as it entered the basement but before the shutoff valve. Long story short, it would have cost them over 1k, but they had the insurance and it cost them nothing. I've been paying my premium ever since. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks