Need generator recommendation for 700 sq ft home/cabin

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolul007

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a reliable generator to power a cabin during rain storm outages. The last one was 4 days long. We get about 2 of these a year. The main electrical draws are the standards, refrigerator, well pump, pellet stove, Satellite TV & Internet, computers. I think an 8KW continuous will handle everything. The unit should be able to run on propane. Electric start, but not automatic. I have researched this and have only come up with too many options to make an informed decision. I chose the Reliance transfer switch for manual load switching. Thank you for any input.

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
I would accept that any name brand generator would be at least as good as the rest and make my choice on how easy it is to get parts and service. If there is a local dealer with a solid reputation in those two areas I would buy from them.

Coolul007

Reaction score
I would accept that any name brand generator would be at least as good as the rest and make my choice on how easy it is to get parts and service. If there is a local dealer with a solid reputation in those two areas I would buy from them.
Thank you for your response, good advice. I will certainly go that route.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a reliable generator to power a cabin during rain storm outages. The last one was 4 days long. We get about 2 of these a year. The main electrical draws are the standards, refrigerator, well pump, pellet stove, Satellite TV & Internet, computers. I think an 8KW continuous will handle everything. The unit should be able to run on propane. Electric start, but not automatic. I have researched this and have only come up with too many options to make an informed decision. I chose the Reliance transfer switch for manual load switching. Thank you for any input.

Noorthern tool has a $1800$ propane stationary rig from Briggs or Generac Thats 8kw. Many of the 8KW wheeled rigs are much more and entirely from China. Seems like a real bargain.

Coolul007

Reaction score
Noorthern tool has a $1800$ propane stationary rig from Briggs or Generac Thats 8kw. Many of the 8KW wheeled rigs are much more and entirely from China. Seems like a real bargain.
I have settled on a Generac standby, without the auto switch, as there are a lot of times no one is at the cabin and there is no need for power.
Thank you all for your input, it helped a lot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks