Need branch ckt diagram for instllation of washer/dryer for permitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Harveywaz

Reaction score
I am installing a Sears stacked washer/dryer in a condo and need an electrical connection diagram showing an updated panel reflecting the new branch ckt for the appliance, and wire sizing and electrical ratings for all equipment and conductors. This washer/dryer has a single 220v plugin cord that services both appliances.

So I am simply adding a 30 amp breaker to an existing spare slot in an existing wall panel breaker box and running 10 or 12 gauge 4-wire from the box down through the wall to crawl space and across the room and up through the floor again to the location I will put the 220v outlet. This is all being done by a licensed electrician so it will be done correctly, but I need to draw this simple diagram to get the permit. Can anyone help with such a diagram, or refer me to sites that show examples, or standard symbols to use? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-14_16-25-30.png
    upload_2014-12-14_16-25-30.png
    158.1 KB · Views: 285

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What does the installation manual say for power requirements for the system? Most electric dryers require a 40A circuit and a combined washer/dryer may require more (separate units typically only supply 120vac to the WM, but it's up in the air on a combined unit). Are you sure it can use just one plug? Most stackable units do not use just one plug as they really are two separate units with an optional stacking kit. When you use a plug-in device, the amperage for it depends on two things: the type of plug it calls for, and the maximum draw the device calls for. A combination unit should be the same...the type and size of the circuit will be indicated in the manual for the device. If you haven't received it yet, you can usually download it from their website. It should have everything you need to define it.

IOW, a more typical install would call for two new circuits: 120vac for the washer, and 240vac for the dryer. only the manual would tell. For maximum flexibility, I'd run a 40A 240vac circuit for the dryer and a 20A 120vac circuit for the washer (it might get by with a 15A circuit). 40A would require 8G, and 15A would require 14G (20A - 12G).

Some locations would want this in a conduit, but it depends on your local codes and the type of construction. Condos can sometimes be strange compared to a single family dwelling. So people would need to know the city/state where you are to offer a better answer - and, the model numbers of the items involved.

Do yourself a big favor and do NOT use the flexible ductwork. It ends up being a dust/lint magnet and eventually a fire hazard. It will also slow down the airflow and end up costing you more money to dry your clothes. Use rigid ducts. Takes a bit more skill to cut and fabricate the connections, but well worth it in the end.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The electrician SHOULD make the drawing, because he is going to do the installation, and the drawing has to agree with how he does it, which is something you do NOT know.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the plug you use will determine the size of the branch service feeding it. It was late when I last posted, but the most common plug for a dryer is a 50A one. The wiring, circuit breaker, and receptacle need to all match in their capacity. There are 15, 20, 30, 50A receptacles readily available, but no 40A ones. The circuit breaker is to protect the WIRING from burning up and causing a fire, it is NOT to protect the item you plug into it, so the wiring has to match the biggest thing that COULD be plugged in, and if you use a 50A receptacle, the wiring and CB must match.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks