Need Assistance determining pump size

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by RR1947, May 10, 2013.

1. RR1947

RR1947 New Member

I have a 24' deep well, using a 1 1/4 screen but am not sure of the best horsepower to use. Have looked at both 1/2 and 3/4. I want to ensure optimal power production but not to the point of overkill. The well will be used for general garden and yard sprinklers, not irrigation. Thanks, Rick
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I would go with the ¾ HP. It all depends on the depth to water level. If it gets anywhere close to 24’, the ½ HP would only produce about 1 GPM. The ¾ HP would still produce about 5 GPM. If the water level stays high, the ½ HP would work. But I would rather be safe than sorry.

Also I think “general garden and yard sprinklers” would be considered as irrigation.
  3. RR1947

RR1947 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was edging toward 3/4 hp, now I'm convinced. As for irrigation, I was referring to a couple of hoses instead of an in-ground multi-zone irrigation system.