Need advise on submersible pump & generator

Users who are viewing this thread

Let it rain

Reaction score
I have a well but no pump. I need water for livestock and wildlife. My well is 105' deep with static level of 39' and 5gpm flow (according to driller and confirming tester). It's 500+ yards of rough terrain to electricity.

My first thought is a submersible pump powered by a generator. Am I naive to think setting something like this up should be easy?

Looking around online, I see a 115V Wayne submersible that's rated at 10A. I believe that's operating current. Their specs don't mention start-up power/current. Is a 2000W generator (Honda EU2000i) enough for starting the pump? Are there other/better pumps out there? I'd like to stay 115V as I'm hoping to need a smaller generator.

I just want to pump water out of my well and fill a water trough without spending a fortune.

Thoughts/ideas?

Thanks!
Let it rain

Last edited:

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I also have a EU2000i genset and was wondering if it would start a sub. pump. The genset is rated for I believe 16 amps surge and about 12-14 running, max, if I recall. I know it will start my "1-HP" craftsman air compressor (oil-lube type). I THINK it will run a 110V sub, but I have never tested it.

If you do try it let us know.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
500 yards on a 3 wire 240v pump and the control box at the power source will be cheaper than a genset in the long run, maybe even the short run.

Or a solar panel or a windmill.

Let it rain

Reaction score
Thanks Texas Wellman and Ballvalve for the replies.

Ballvalve, you may be right...

Here's the reply I got back from "Ask Wayne":
"Sir;

It is possible to operate the pump with a generator, but you probably need one larger than you are expecting.

The pump draws about 10.4 amps running ad will require up to 5 times that to start.
10.4 times 120v= 1248 Watts
1248 watts times 5 = 6240 watts possible for starting

In addition many small generators do no operate the way you expect them to with pumps."

Are windmills fairly reliable?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With a 1/2 HP 230 volt submersible motor, #8 wire will go 1610 feet. Or you can use a buck/boost transformer and run #12 wire. Just boost 230 to 480 at the meter, send it 1500' on #12 wire, and use another transformer to bring it back down to 230 volt at the well.

I'm just lazy and wouldn't want the maintenance of a windmill or a generator if I could bring it power from the grid. I have a well that is 3500' from my meter. So I pay 27 bucks a month to have them put another meter at the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks