Need Advice: Water Heater Rush and Corrosion

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Lucy Hall, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Lucy Hall

Lucy Hall New Member

Hi Everyone- I'm new to this forum and would be ever so grateful if someone could give me some advice on my water heater issue. I've lived in my home for 6 years and in the process of selling my home. The inspector came in and noticed some rust and corrosion on the connection of my water heater. The water heater is located in the attic and I live in Texas where it's hot and humid. He said that it could be normal but the Buyers want me to fix it. My question is do I need to replace my water heater or do I replace the connections or can I just get a wire brush and clean off the rust? TIA

heater.JPG
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Normally the fix is to replace the nipple going into the tank.

If a water heater is ten years old, then it may make more sense to replace the water heater. Spending money on a plumber to do a repair gets you part way to a new heater. Since you are moving on, that may not be an issue. In your new location, my advice would be to replace the tank, not spend it part way on a small part.
  3. Lucy Hall

Lucy Hall New Member

Thanks Terry. I will call a plumber and have him/her replace the connection.