Need advice switch to gas on LI

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by jeffgnyc, Jul 9, 2014.

1. jeffgnyc

jeffgnyc New Member

With all the salesmen out there I cant quite get a straight answer on converting from oil to NG on Long Island. Is the return on investment too far out?
    Home built 1948, 2nd floor redone and insulated. Current oil boiler and oil tank approximately 7 years old, installed by Petro. We already have NG service for clothes dryer and stove top. Water heater is 1985 until sitting beside oil burner, everyone has said leave it alone until it breaks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It all comes down to the costs of energy, and you can figure out your cost per BTU from your oil bill, and your gas bills. In most places, NG will be significantly cheaper, and more stable in price. There's also the cost of keeping your boiler going to heat the water (assuming it's an indirect verses a direct-fire WH) all year round. NG also burns cleaner.