Need advice - New range not fitting against wall due to gas pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxine

Reaction score
Hi! I am new here, and am hoping someone can help me.

We just received our new Maytag gas slide-in range yesterday. After the installer installed it, the back was sitting about 3-4 inches away from the wall. It was due to a gas pipe that we have running up from the floor, about 3 inches away from the wall, and 13 inches high! The back of my Maytag has a metal backing, that prevents me from pushing it to make it flush. Ugh. How common is this problem? Or is it just unlucky me?

My old stove was a GE gas slide in (prob. 17 years old or so). I am thinking that I made a mistake in getting the Maytag, and should have gotten the GE instead, and maybe it can accomodate the pipe? Someone told me that is not necessarily so. Someone else suggested to get a plumber to fix the pipe? According to the installation manual, the hard gas pipe should be towards the left hand side of the stove. Right now, my pipe is in the center, 3 inches from wall, running upwards. Please advise.

Also, I have never hired a plumber before. How difficult is this job?

Thank you!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would change the pipe location. The difficulty (meaning $$$) depends on how easy or difficult access to the piping under the floor is. If it is in a basement and easy to get at, it would be less than if it requires crawling on ones belly 30 feet. The actual plumbing part is very simple. Any licensed plumber should be able to do this for you.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Not knowing exactly what your problem is .... one suggestion I have is to remove the pipe thru the floor and replace it with a shorter one that the gas range will clear, put an ell on it and a short nipple which has an ell on the other end. This would give you a swing joint which you could push against the wall or move or extend to anywhere you want it...as long as the range can clear the shorter pipe....be sure to use a good pipe thread sealer (Rectorseal #5 is what I like to use) and to check for leaks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

In most cases there is enough room under the range so that the pipe can be offset above the floor and run over to the recess for the gas pipe. If so, it is a fairly simple job.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Just did one of these last friday evening. Told the customer earlier in the week NOT to have me run the gas line until the stove is sitting right there in front of me to set the new gas line through the floor without having to second guess beforehand.

Had to set the gas line right at the wall, cut out a piece of drywall to be able to put a wrench on the last few joints and made sure that the line coming up was offset from the connection into the back of the stove.

Worked like a charm and she made cookies later that evening. She'd been waiting for a gas stove for 4 years, they bought a $1600 stove that more bells and whistles than I've ever seen.

fatearthworm

Reaction score
I agree, it is good and necessary to have the appliance on hand ahead of time.
My gas line extends up about 6" and is "too close" to the wall - so a patch was necessary ..
I use ribbon dope on the threads, never a leak, but this Teflon tape "ribbon dope" may not be the best thing to use....

Maxine, the new stove should have a recess in back for the gas line, and a regulator, otherwise the connection can be un-necessarily difficult and very expensive..

Maxine

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice.

Now I know that I am on track, as well as what to ask/look for. I have called the plumber and he will be coming on Saturday. Thanks so much for responding. This is a great site. I will definitely be here to learn more about plumbing and remodeling.

Happy Holidays!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks