Need advice from Washington plumbers please

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by NorthRiver, Nov 27, 2009.

1. NorthRiver

NorthRiver New Member

I need some advice from someone familiar with the plumbing codes for Washington state.

This morning I noticed my water heater is leaking. With 2 little ones in the house we can't be without hot water. The problem is that I can't afford to have someone install the heater for me.:eek: I can scrape together the money for a new tank,but thats about it.:(

My dad is a long time DIYer and says we can have this tank whipped out in a few hours. The problem is,that we don't know the current codes for Washington state.

From what I've gathered here,a new expansion tank is going to be needed. Other than that,I'm striking out on the other info needed to make sure the replecement is up to code.

Can anyone help me get a new heater installed correctly?

I really appreciate any help.
  2. Inspektor Ludwig

Inspektor Ludwig Journeyman/Inspector

You can install like for like. I'd get 2 new flex lines and 2 new brass nipples for the top of the tank (3/4"). I'd also get a brass tee (3/4") with a nipple and cap for a possible expansion tank. UPC doesn't require expansion tanks on open systems, you have an open system if you don't have a PRV (pressure reducing valve), Check valve or some other obstruction that would prevent the expanded water from flowing back through your water service and into the public water main. I've found that every city is different when it comes to expansion tanks so I'm not sure about Everett. What you can do right now is install a tee on your cold water inlet to the tank and put a cap on it until Monday, then you can find out if Everett requires expansion tanks on new heaters. There's no sense in paying for one if you don't need it but you'll be able to install it if you do. Your t+p drain can be ran the same as you have it now. You'll also need to buy a seismic bracing kit and follow the instructions. You need a strap on the top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of the tank. I don't know if Everett requires a permit for a hot water tank but you'll want to check on that too, I think Seattle is the only city that doesn't require a permit. Hope this helps!
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. NorthRiver

NorthRiver New Member

No expansion tank now,but I have a closed system with a PRV and that looks to be a new requirement.
  4. Inspektor Ludwig

Inspektor Ludwig Journeyman/Inspector

Ok. then you'll need install one. Good luck!